HELP! iBook G4 charge/flicker problem (= slow death for my laptop?)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by deetschei, Feb 7, 2007.

1. deetschei macrumors member

I have a 1.2 Ghz Power PC Ibook that has been a flawless laptop for almost two years now. Yesterday, I noticed that the screen wold periodically dim/brighten every couple of seconds. As I looked at the battery icon, I noticed that each time it dimmed, the charge icon would switch to a battery (as if the laptop wasn't plugged in), and each time it brightened, the corresponding charge icon would appear.
    This happens even though it is plugged in, and usually, if I adjust the power cord, then it stops. But each time I have had to do this, it becomes less responsive to the method! Now I'm afraid my computer will simply die a slow death, with me frantically jiggling a cord to no avail, watching as it breathes its last breath, unable to be repowered! Does anyone have any advice?

PS: I'm an American, in Germany, who will be in London next week and able to visit a genius bar there...but I'm not positive that my warrranty extends beyond American borders...Anyone know?

2. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Maybe you have a wonky power supply... those things are notoriously weak for many mac laptops. I'd try hooking up another powersupply. Alternatively, unplug your power supply and switch to the battery and see if the same thing happens.

3. dukeman macrumors member