Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britishempire

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
My brother's iBook G4 (I think it's a 2003 model) has a problem with the screen.

When the computer is turned on, the screen stays black, although the backlight is on (the apple glows). Sometimes, on start up, the screen works normally for a random amount of time before going fuzzy and then black again.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it likely to be a problem with the hardware in the actual computer, or just the screen? Or is it a software thing?

Any help would be great!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Its difficult to diagnose problems like this over the web. Your best bet is probably to take the iBook into the shop.. It could be a plethora of things ranging from the logic board to a component of LCD itself.

britishempire

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
thanks for the feedback :)

There's also started to be a nasty, grating whirring noise coming from the fan that comes and goes apparently at random... It looks like the computer has been dropped or bashed and it's quite screwed... my brother's thinking about upgrading to a MacBook rather than try and fix the iBook now.

droz

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
well, i've had similar problems with my iBook G4. I can sometimes get it to boot up with an active screen but then after i move it around a little bit the screen locks up and/or goes blank. Other times it just won't boot up with an active screen at all. I found an interesting article just today on a very very similar issue that has been tested overseas and found to be a contact problem inside the machine (design issue). Don't know if this is what's impacting mine and/or yours but it's an interesting read...

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/05/danes_find_desi.html

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.