Help: iChat AV not launching.

Discussion in 'Community' started by crachoar, Aug 18, 2004.

1. crachoar macrumors 6502a

There have been other people having various problems with iChat, mine happened when I hooked up a USB microphone to my PowerMac, tried to connect to a buddy and the program locked up. The app then refused to launch (even after I disconnected the mic). After this happened, I rebooted, deleted the preferences, etc. The app would still not launch. So, I got frustrated and deleted it (probably a bad idea). I have the program "Pacifist" and would like to reinstall iChat AV entirely without having to reinstall OSX. In other threads on this forums, that has been suggested...

I guess what I'm asking is "how do you use Pacifist" because when I tried it, iChat didn't have an icon and again, wouldn't launch. I have the 3 CD version of OSX.3, apparently iChat is on CD #2. However, I don't see a specific install package for it. When I run a search, the .app shows up in the various foreign language packs. If I install any of those, iChat shows up with no icon and refuses to even launch.

On my Powerbook Software Backup CD, there is a proper "iChat.app" file located in the EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg file. When I install it to my PowerMac (via Pacifist), it shows up with an icon and such (more than what happens when I install from the OSX.3 cds). However, when I try to launch if, it just hangs. The black arrow shows up, but nothing happens. If I open up the Activity Monitor, after a few seconds the "Set up a new iChat AV Account" window pops up. I'll enter my AIM info and it will hang again. Two out of about ten times, it has proceeded to the "Rendezvous Messaging" window. After I had selected the options for that, it crashed again. This doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm by no means a programmer, which is why I'm posting here.

So what do I do now? Is there a way I can delete every file tied to iChat AV and then completely reinstall it from the OSX cds, or do I seriously have to reinstall OSX to get it working again? (which wouldn't be fun)

If I have to reinstall OSX, and if I use the archive and install option, can I just drag my installed apps and their libraries over to my new install? Or will that mess things up? I haven't had to reinstall OSX for a while now and I can't remember exactly what I did when it came to reinstalling all of my apps..

Any help is appreciated. :(

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

it depends i guess.
    some apps dont work when you just copy them over after an archive and install

but before talk of reinstalling OS X, have you tried deleting the prefs (com.apple.iChat.plist, probably) and all the files associated with iChat?

btw, this thread is in the wrong community..

3. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

friend of mine had a similar prbm- it was fixed by an apple genius- after an hour apparently- not sure what they did.

(sorry for the useless post)

4. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wasn't sure where to post it, didn't see a "help" community anywhere...

Anyway, yes, I've deleted the pref file, and it still continues to hang. I guess what I need to know is:

Where are all of the files associated with iChat located and what are their names?

Having a "genius" fix it isn't exactly an option for me since 1)I don't have AC 2)I don't want to drag my tower to an Apple Store.

If a "genius" on here would be happy to help me, that would be much easier. ;)

Problem is still here. :(

5. crachoar thread starter macrumors 6502a