Help Identify PowerMac G4 Please!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wPod, Oct 4, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I need help identifying a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth. Thats all I know about it right now. I am a student worker in the IT dept at my university, and since I am the only one with an apple, I have been designated as the in house mac guru! Only problem is, I got into macs a few years ago with the mirrored door powermacs were new and OS X was new. So, the one old mac we have in the entire building I work in is a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth with 256mb of RAM running OS 8.6.2.(which i know very little about) I was able to identify this much from the apple site : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418

But my biggest question is what type of processor it has in it, or rather what speed. I am not very familiar with OS 8.6, but if you told me where I could look that would be great. As well as the video card, I am curious as to which card it has in it. I think it has the AGP DVI/VGA card in it, but i really didnt look close enough to see if it was DVI or ADC. Also, how can I tell the size of the HD? I am sure these are simple questions, but I am really unfamiliar with OS 8. Thanks for the help!

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

apple system profiler, in the control panels folder

3. Jesus macrumors 6502

or I think there is a small label on the botton, there is on mine.

Jesus

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

As gwuMACaddict said, run the system profiler, in the control panels folder. Alternately, it may show up in the Apple menu (the little apple icon on the extreme left of the meubar).

The Sawtooth is either 350, 400, 450 or 500MHz, with 400 and 450 being much more common than the other two.

The usual AGP video card is an ATI Rage series (Rage Pro or Rage 128) with both a VGA and ADC port on the back. It may have been upgraded though.

As for the hard drive, select it by clicking once and hit Command-I or select "get info" from the File menu. It may also show it's total capacity in the finder window when you open the hard drive icon.