Help - I'm buying my first Mac, an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SWMHancock, Oct 31, 2004.

1. SWMHancock macrumors newbie

Hello all.

This is my first post and I'm hoping it will be a great intro to the Mac world.

I am about to buy my first iMac. Having been a PC person for 20+ years I'm tired of the problems in the Windows world (compatiblity issues, viruses, etc.). All that I read about those who enjoy the Apple world have made me jealous enough to the point that I've said "OK OK, I'm making the switch!!!".

My first question is - Are there any real Down sides? Problems inherent in the way a Mac works? Issues I should be aware of - as in you can't do this , or it won't do that. My main usage is hone finances in Quicken, web browsing, email, and a desire to get into video editing and more digital pictures maintenance.

My second question is - what is a reasonable price for a very clean, 2004 G4 iMac, 20" screen, 1.25Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive, includes installed bluetooth adapter, all normal iLife software, plus it has Photoshop CS with PhotoKit 1.2.1, Microsoft Office X, QuickTime Pro, Toast Titanium 6.0.7. AppleCare is still in force and can be extended for 2 more years.

Is $2,000 a reasonable price?

Please help with any and all comments.

Thanks.

2. Bob_Barker macrumors regular

$2000 is way too expensive. You can get the Brand New 20" iMac G5 for cheaper than that. If you actually get the licenses to use the software, it's a little better (if you don't get them, it's illegal). You can get the exact same system minus the bluetooth adapter at your local apple store on clearance for $1200 or $1300. I would strongly recommend a new iMac over ANY older one, even the 20". The G5 iMac is considerably faster and is much more likely to grow with you as you dive into photography and video. You might even consider the new 17" iMacs. The screens are smaller, but there is still plenty of room for iMovie and most of you photoshop needs.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. You can get those iMacs for cheaper off of Apple's Hot Deals website.

The G4, BTW, is a nice computer. If you don't do a lot of video work, then might be worth it to get the G4 and not the G5. And be sure to upgrade the RAM... OS X loves it!

4. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Downsides?

Are there downsides? Of course, there always are. However, I'm sure you'll find them to be more "acceptable" purchasing a Mac.

The biggest downside isn't really that big at all - software compatibility. The only problem you run into here is that you may want XYZ product but it is only available on a Windows platform. Chances are there is a similar product for the Mac (and it is probably free or at least cheaper). There are a few programs that I know of that you could only do on a PC, such as Autocad, but then again I may be wrong there may be a decent alternative. ON THE FLIP SIDE there are many software titles (and a lot of free ones) for the Mac that are more intuitive or simply work better than any counterpart on a PC system (IE: iLife suite). Check versiontracker.com.

Some will say, "THEY'RE SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, STAY AWAY!" Not really. You'll outlay a little more for a much better computer, but in 4 years you'll probably be able to get 2/3 of what you paid for it back. You can't even get 1/5 of what you pay for a PC four years later.

From what you've described, it sounds like the 17" G5 iMac would be PERFECT for you. It will handle everything you want to do with ease, without crashing, and will just be a generally better all-around experience.

Not to mention, you can't find a PC that looks darn near as cool as the G5 iMac. Hey throw in a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, use Airport Express, and get a bluetooth printer (or bluetooth adapter) and the only cord you'll plug in is ONE POWER CORD! Now THAT is design!

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

For the tasks you described, I really don't think there are any downsides. For many of the applications, the Apple iLife apps are great and possibly the best as well.

If something like iPhoto is not enough for your digital photography, Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements are cross-platform, as are most major software programs.

I just switched to a eMac myself, I bought a 1 Ghz refurb from the Apple store for only $550. It turned out to be the 2K4 model with 167 MHz bus and USB 2, etc., which was a very pleasant surprise. So far I love it, and am copying over my files from my soon-to-be-sold PC right now as I type. I'm sure down the road I'll want a more powerful Mac, but for what I need it actually seems to work great!

The price you mentioned sounds a little high. Search around on EBay and in the Apple.com refurb section. My refurb price (including warranty) was actually better than what I found on EBay.

6. SLCentral macrumors regular

I agree, the iMac G5 seems to suit you better then a iMac G4, and since it comes out cheaper, I'd advise getting that. Be warned that Quicken is horrible on the Mac. You may want to invset in Virtual PC and use the PC version of Quicken, or even better, Microsoft Money (the only product they do right)!

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

2000 is too much.
    A new G5 20" costs $1899 new.
    You get much nice software with it, thats a bonus IF you get original cds.

8. iEric macrumors 6502a

Get the iMac G5.
    If you're willing to shell out 2000$ on a used G4, you will not regret buying a G5. It'd "last" longer - by that, I mean, you won't want or have to replace it as fast as if you bought a G4.
    And as long as for software..."just buy it ;)"

9. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu