Help I'm out of Space!!! (on my HD)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wPod, Mar 9, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I recently imported a large amount of MP3s from Napster (so they were legitimately obtained cause Napster is legal now right?) Anyway, the problem is my 40GB HD on my PB is nearly full (I have 1.1 GB free right now, so I wont be importing any more songs anytime soon) I have gone and cleaned everything off of my HD I do not need, like classic, and some programs that were pre-installed that I have never used. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get more space. The only things I can think of would be to buy a new HD (but how can I install that w/o voiding applecare?) or since the mp3s are at 192kbps i could convert them down to 128kbps to save some space. Or are there other ideas out there? I have a huge 250GB external drive, but I do not want to lug that around to listen my music.

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm having a similar problem right now except that my 80gb powerbook is out of space. One thing I did was buy a lot of DVD-RW and copy a bunch of files to there and delete the original. Each disk can only hold 4.7gb so depending on how much room you want to free up that can take a while.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on when you got em from Napster - if they were downloaded when Napster was illegal P2P, they're still illegal. If you downloaded them since Napster went legit, they're legit (aside presumably from the removal of the DRM ;) )

You could use Delocalizer to get rid of some language folders. Make sure that your temp internet directories and caches are empty - and that you've emptied the trash lately.

It's probably also worth checking your Music and Pictures? Have you got one copy in the iTunes folder and one in an 'artist' folder? Depending on how you got them into iTunes you may have both. Similarly with iPhoto - do you have a copy in your iPhoto and another in separate image folders? If so, then you might want to leave the iTunes/iPhoto ones where they are but burn copies of the others to DVD as a back up and then delete them from the HD

If you do all that and are still left with just 1GB when OS X really isn't going to run well - there's not enough room for it to do page swaps - you're going to have to look at thinning out the music you don't plan on listening to or biting the bullet and getting a new HD. Only way to not void Applecare on the PB is to get an authorised service centre to install it for you.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why not just copy the mp3s to your external drive, then downsample the ones you want to have all the time to 128kpbs AAC?

5. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

and on that note

I have a 160 gig LaCie 7200 rpm drive for sale or for trade.
    please let me know if you are interested.
    andreas krankl
    or PM me

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you have File Vault on (and the iTunes Music folder in your home folder) then (move the music out of home folder and) turn of File Vault... saved me several GB on my iBook with a 60 GB HD...

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Holy crap! I still have a good 40 GB's left on my 80 GB HD!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In other words, if you had a 40 GB hd to begin with, then you would be up the same creek as the OP. ;)

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, if performance and data integrity is more of an issue for you then having your precious MP3s, I suggest culling out some MP3s and curbing your enthusiasm for Napstering them.

In the meantime..

Try Monolingual to remove some unwanted/unused language files (unless you simultaneously used your native language and want to switch to Latvian). This should grab back about ~250MB.

If you don't use GarageBand and have it installed, drop it and it's support files. Same goes with iDVD. Dumping these will gain you some sweet space as well.

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

there is only so much you can throw away using a 40GB drive, i think a fresh install of OS X will leave you with about 32GB left free. i have done the same with mine cause i have a 40GB drive as my main drive and have only been able to thin it out to have about 28gb left, and i also heard that it is not good to fill up a hard drive more than 70% of its capacity, i have also noticed that when my drive had about 8gb left everything ran slower, so i just got an internal 120gb to store my songs and pictures and pretty much everything else, but for a powerbook i would probably recommend you getting one of those really small 40gb firewire drives and chug the around, i doubt they weigh too much.

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

True... But then again, I'd watch what goes on the computer more...

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Um, use playlists in iTunes, keeping your music on your external HD. Then move only selected playlists to the iPod. Surely you don't really need to have 40GB of music with you all the time (and if you do, buy the 40GB ipod)

13. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

well, i got rid of garageband (ive played with it once) that helped a lot. and i got rid of all the other language stuff, killed 600 MB (or so it says) but anyway, i ended up with almost 5 free gigs now. thats not bad for now. i think ill convert my 192kbps tunes to 128kbps b/c i tried it on a couple of CDs and it saved 1 or to mb per song. so multiply that by almost 1000 songs and that should open up another gig or more.

this should hold me for now. but for future reference does anyone know of a good authorized apple place (web site or store) that i can get a good deal on a larger HD? it will be pretty annoying trying to free up space should i decide to get a game, or buy more CDs or whatever.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm also out of my 80 gig soon, do u think apple can put in the 100 gig(from the new pb) HD and install tiger on it and then i could have my 80 for an external HD (will this effect my applecare?)

15. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Careful. This may seem like a good idea in the short term. But remember you are removing quality from your music. Maybe you can't tell the difference, but if you plan on listening to your music through a good stereo system or headphones it will show. Especially if you have a good ear.

Its my opinion that you should keep the quality as high as possible. But depending on your musical taste maybe it doesn't suit you. Just a thought.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

yes. . . your advice helped, thank you. but you might work on your arrogance a bit! :)

i agree. i am a bit of an audiophile in the sense that i enjoy very high quality music. the only problem is i do not have enough money to get the hardware to enjoy the music! so i settle with what i have. the equipment i have is tollerable with 128kbps. i do have the 250GB external drive so i will certainly save the larger sized better quailty music there. but i would be willing to sacrafice a little bit of sound quailty to gain some room on my HD until i can get a larger HD (not to mention a larger iPod to store all the music! my 10Gb 1st gen is way past full, but i am holding out for some sort of wireless built in or wireless accessory before i buy a new iPod! (i just got a shuffle to tide me over till whenever the time to buy a full-sized iPod may be)

now i just need to find some time to convert all the music to 128 :-/