Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Can anyone tell me whats going on?
I am running an iMac G5 1.8, 20", 758 Ram... I araely turn off my Mac usually putting it to sleep, I set the sleep and turn off screen to 15 , no screen save, sometimes it jas been set to sleep at 1 hour and so on.
But...when I go to turn it on I see the sleep light pulsing...I hit the spacebar and it goes out and nothing haprrens, I then hit the power button on yhe bac and the sleep light starts to pulse agaun...I hit a key and it does it again..the pulse gore off and I have to rpeat it...after about three time doing this it finnally boots....everything else is fine...????
Thanks
R

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What sort of time frame are we looking at before you hit the sleep button? These things can take a while to wake up fully sometimes, particularly their screens. The fact it falls asleep again after you hit that sleep button makes me think that it was almost definitely awake beforehand and maybe it just needed a bit more time to actually appear fully awake.

Either that or you've got something a little more serious wrong with your iMac. :eek:

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I would guess you have a more serious problem. I had your problem at first and now I have the opposite problem, my iMac will not go to sleep by itself. I have talked to apple about it, and they wanted me to take it in for repair. I think it might have to do with the computer heating up the transistors that reside next to the power supply.

My iMac has already had it's logic board replaced because the video card was malfunctioning, I just don't want to take it in for repairs yet.

I would recommend you get the extended warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.