Help! iMac Won't Start! OSX BSOD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nickyj182, Jul 15, 2003.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

Hi, I have an iMac 500 mhz slot loader, she has Jaguar installed on her and the other day I was starting it up, and it makes it past the load bar and goes to the blue screen showing the loading animation on the cursor, but its freezes there, i can move the mouse but nothing happens! It keeps doing this every time i start up, anyone got any ideas?

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

First, start up from the Jaguar CD and verify/repair the disk, as well as the disk permissions. Also, can you start up in single-user mode from your hard drive? (Hold Command-S as it starts up.) If you can, then do that fsck -y thing (type fsck -y I guess, I don't know more than that, lol).
    I think this happened to me once (I think it was because I, erm, deleted or moved something I shouldn't have in an effort to "save disk space," back when I had a 9.5 gig hard drive). I had to reinstall the OS, but if you choose the Archive & Install option, then you won't really lose any files.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Definitely go with the suggestions above. I would have suggested the same things. Also have you installed any hardware recently including USB devices?

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

do what was suggested. I think it did that to my iMac a few times and I pressed the sleep button, then when it woke up it was fine..

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It appears that a lot of folks that installed the 7-14-03 security update have been reporting that problem. Do as previously suggested.