help in choosing console (yes, i searched)

Discussion in 'Games' started by bearbo, Sep 11, 2006.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i konw there's plenty thread on there, but i couldn't get some of the answer to my questions

i need some help choosing a console... forgive me for my ignorance, i'm kinda new to console...

okay.. so xbox 360 is out, but ps3 and wii aren't (right?)

can you guys give me a general comparison between those three, with a little more consideration for first person shooters, as i'm sure all three have their advantages...

would all of them have their own small cute games (whatever that means), nothing particular

also, since xbox 360 is out for a while now, does that imply that when ps3 and wii comes out, they are gonna be "better" in many senses?

thanks for any input, and sorry for my stupidity:p

edit: also.. when choosing between consoles, what should i look for, should i look for the specs and decide? or would that not make much different, but the exclusive games... if the latter case, which one would have better games(whatever better means)?

sorry, i have a lot of thinking outloud, thanks again for helps

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Look at the list of games that are or will be available for each console. Figure out which one has the most games that you would like to play. Purchase console.

You don't play graphics, you don't play AI, you don't play sound, you don't play HD. You play games. No matter how awesome a game is in many departments, if you don't like the *game* then you're not going to care for it.

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'll try to get in a helpful post before the flames begin, but basically, here we go:

360 - as noted, already available. Early issues included overheating and random shutdowns, current stock seems to be okay. Games? Typical Xbox games... that's about the best way to put it. There'll be plenty of first person shooters, and a few good racing games. Lots of little gems hiding in there (I think that happens with every console). Cheaper than the PS3, more expensive than a Wii.

PS3 - not available, no idea when it will become available. Limited supply will be on hand for launch, out of luck if you're not in the US or Japan. Graphically speaking, there's some arguments going around, but the general consensus is that it will look pretty much like a 360. One of them has the better graphics, the other has the better physics, and in the end, they'll probably look about the same. Games? Typical PS mix. Basically there won't be too many exlusives (for either the 360 or the PS3), but if you're a Metal Gear Solid fan or FF fan, this is where you'll be headed. Plan on shelling out a bit more than for a 360 setup. It'll be interesting to see if they have the launch issues that the 360 did (quality control wise).

Wii - not available, launch date hopefully will be revealed in 3 days. Cheaper than either of the other two options, it also has the least amount of graphical firepower. Only able to output SD (and EDTV) resolutions, it's lack of graphical horsepower shouldn't come in to play if you're not using an HDTV. Look for it to have more exclusives - some really nice ones that do a great job of using the Wiimote, and some crappy 'we-did-it-because-we-could' games, which you should expect with this kind of a controller for the first time.

Picking a single console is a little difficult, because they're all sort of similar, but not really in the end. In my mind (I know, I'll get flamed for this), the 360 and PS3 are equals - they'll have largely the same games and the same graphical firepower (and what's more, with cross platform games, you're even less likely to see one system have better graphics than the other). The difference is cost, and whether you think Blu-Ray will win the HD war. The Wii, on the other hand, is playing a different game, so to speak. Rather than focusing soley on graphics (which are a good thing), they're trying to focus on gameplay (also a good thing).

The best place to be then, in my mind, is to pick up a Wii, and one other one - depending on if you think Blu-Ray is going to be champ of the HD wars or not. If you don't care / don't plan on using it as a Blu-Ray player, get the 360. If you live/breathe for Blu-Ray content, and think it will someday rule the world, pick up the PS3.

Unless of course, there's an exlusive franchise on either one that you are really attached to (but it doesn't sound like that from your first post).

<edit>

Well said, well said.

4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

My opinion. YMMV.

360-
    Good: Out now, High Def games, decent games, Xbox live, Halo 3 eventually, Arcade games

Bad: Lagging in backward compatibility, no HD movie device built in

PS3-
    Good: HD movies (blu-ray (sp?)), High Def games, a big catalogue of old games that should bee backwards compatible

Bad: Controller, blu-ray could be a bust for a movie format, delays as a result of blu-ray, online experience is unknown

Wii-
    Good: Motion sensing controller, what should be a large number of old games from previous gen consoles that can be downloaded,

Bad: not HD, no HD movies, unknown online experience

As I said these are just my interpretation. All of the consoles have their good and bad. If you're asking which you should buy you'll have to wait until all of the consoles are available for purchase then find out what suits you. The biggest question should be which console has the games you want to play.

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

If you're into First Person Shooters, the Xbox 360 looks like the console of choice right now. You're interested in playing online against other players, right?

PS3 might get as many in the long run if their online service is as good as the 360's but we won't know for sure for at least a year.

The Wii might be an interesting second choice because of the Wiimote-nunchuck controller combo. It might be the best control scheme for a first person shooter ever but we can't say for sure until the console is released and developers try their hands at refining that control method. Also, online gaming should be completely free with the Wii. Only that might drive you away from the Wii is the resolution. Do you mind playing FPSs at a 640x480 on a computer? That's the resolution the Wii will output at (Some more pixels horizontally if you have a widescreen TV). The XBox and PS3 are both capable of higher resolution.

Concerning your "Specs" question. Don't look at the abstract numbers (MHZ, MB, Etc…) . Look at the features instead. Pick what best suits your needs. (Online interface, Control scheme, Output resolution, Features, Game Library, Genres of predilection, etc…)

Of all the last Gen consoles, I think the Xbox was the platform of choice for FPS shoters. It could lean in the same direction this time around.

Edit: Kuddos to all the above posters for their objectivity and non-partisanship.

6. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Maybe the thread should be locked. Four consecutive posts without console bashing or rampant fanboyism. Must be backwards day. :D

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Fine... get a Nokia N-Gage. It's the only console out there worth anything. There... I said it... are you guys happy now?

N-GAGE4LYFE

8. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

okay, sorry for my stupid questions

in fps, i know on PC i could move the mice as fast as i please, but using a controller, can i still move all over the place w/o feeling restricted?

in ghost recon advanced warfighter (among other games) that allow multiple players in one console, is the screen devided so ppl have their share of screen, or how can i have say 2 ppl play on the same screen?

can i connect to computer monitor with any of them, or is that not recommanded, and can i somehow connect mac to any of them for whatever purpose?

did i hear that final fantasy is only for ps3 (or ps series, but since for the purpose of next gen, ps2 is outdated...)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For what it's worth...

I get every system that comes out. Even if I don't keep them I've had experiences of the systems 'best' games and the hardware interface and features. The only system I'm not getting purely on principal alone is the PS3. Sony lied once before about the system and let me down, I won't be doing it again. They lost a customer there. Also from what I've seen no games are interesting me, and even if they did I wouldn't be comfortable waiting on godly slow loading times and I'm not using *that* controller for the 3rd console iteration.

I will be buying a Wii without any doubt. The Cube and Xbox told me that I was getting bored of regular gaming, a couple of years into both systems I was being let down again and again by regurgitated rubbish but with better graphics. I haven't bought a Cube game since Metroid Prime 2 or an Xbox game since... Halo 2 (had to think there) and even then I returned it. The Cube and Xbox said "you, long term gamer, are tired of this" and the DS showed me that gaming needn't be nothing more than a d-pad and buttons.

I might buy an Xbox 360 soon. Or as soon as they release these cooler chips or perhaps bundle a wifi adapter with it. I'm getting to the stage that the system is acceptable to me, the games are coming out and the Backwards Compatibility list is growing. But I'm not paying £270 for a machine that should be giving me more (higher capacity HDD for one). £200 would be a little more reasonable as I need a wifi adapter and them things aren't cheap. I mean this systems time will come for me but it really isn't now.

If it's worth anything - you'll be able to download classic games on Nintendos system. 1 single machine that can play every single ground breaking game ever released is going to be something. Apart from Goldeneye :mad: mad at Rare.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Generally I'd say no... it's something you get used to though after a bit... also consider that *everybody* else is under the same restriction. So it doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

It is split screen.

The next FF game is coming out for the PS2 I believe. After that nobody knows really... Square tends to be fickle. They've had games out for all the consoles so... who knows.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

FF12 is coming out for PS2 only, FF13 is PS3 only.

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

Actually, that question is one of the reasons that I have a hard time with FPS on consoles - my thumb just doesn't feel right sometimes when I'm trying to aim using console controllers. Sometimes it works out okay, but other times it just feels... akward. Not nearly mouse-like in how it works.

But again, as was said above, you get used to it, and everybody is under the same limitation. What will be interesting is seeing how well the Wiimote works. Initial reports from E3 were on both sides of the spectrum, from tooooo finiky to not quite crisp enough, which makes it sound like a programming issue, and how it deals with the movement of your hand. If they can lick those issues out, it would make for a *really* enjoyable FPS.

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

No worries. These don't fall in the stupid questions category

Short answer: Not really. You're usually not able to aim as fast using a controller. If you're used to PC FPSs, you might find the control sluggish at first. The good thing here is that every other player is also using a controller so you're not disadvantaged. The more you'll playt with a controller, the more you'll get used to it. Many PC FPS players find it very frustrating though.

I can't wait to see if the Wii remote will make console based FPS easier to play. Aim and Click sounds as close to the real thing as can be on a console. I'm a little worried about sensitivity and lag for now. I'll have to try one once it's released to see how well it works.

Ususally, for FPSs, the screen is splitted in 2 or 4 smaller screens if the game has this kind of offline multiplayer mode. It's kind of weird because other players peek at where you are, but then again, all players are on the same footing. Some game also have a local multiplayer mode (2 TVs and 2 concoles or more wired togeteher)

Yes, with all 3 conoles.

I think there are some homemade app to connect you mac to the 360 to share video and music but I haven't read much about it. We can't say for sure about the other 2 unreleased consoles

Depends of which FF. Usually, a single specific FF game is a console exclusive but there are FF games for many consoles out there. The "main" line of FF games (VII, VIII, IX, XII, XIII) have all (or will) been Sony exclusives but that could change depending on console market share of the next generation.

14. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

i should have known this... computers are constantly updated, why wouldn't console...

but so xbox360 is definitely releasing new model with "coller chips" and "bundle a wifi adapter"? how speculating are this speculations? is there's gonna be a update, what time frame are we looking at, a month, a yr, 5 yrs, or we dont know if there's gonna be one... i know no one knows it for sure, i jsut want to have a feel with someone with more experience

edit: did i mention i probably will play mostly offline with friends... occasionally online (how much is it anyway)

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

For offline with friends I'd recommend the Wii for sure... if I have more than one friend over the only console we even consider booting up is the Gamecube... then again that's just me.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

The Gamecube had many of good split-screen multiplayer games. But, I have to admit, higher resolution and widescreen really shines when each player is given 1/4th of a screen. Much easier to see what's going on. So this is one advantage the 360 and PS3 could have over the Wii for 4 player local multiplayer.

Pixel real estate for full screen and 1/4 screen gameplay:
    Code:

Console   Aspect Ratio   Resolution     Pixel Count    1/4 Res.     1/4 px   Pixel Ratio

Wii       4:3            640x480        307,200 px     320x240      76,800   1x
    Wii       16:9           854x480        409,920 px     427x240     102,480   1.33x

360       4:3            640x480        307,200 px     320x240      76,800   1x
    360       16:9           1280x720       921,600 px     640x360     230,400   3x
    360       16:9           1920x1080*   2,073,600 px     960x540     518,400   6.75x

PS3       4:3            640x480        307,200 px     320x240      76,800   1x
    PS3       16:9           1280x720       921,600 px     640x360     230,400   3x
    PS3       16:9           1920x1080*   2,073,600 px     960x540     518,400   6.75x

*Not many games planning to support this resolution so far (without upscaling)
    Basically, at the standard 720p Xbox 360 resolution, you already have 3 times more pixel to draw the action for each player when the screen is split in 4. This could make precision tasks such as sniping easier… provided your opponent sitting in the couch next to you isn't peeking at your screen. :D

Edit: If you don't own or plan to use a HD TV/Display with your next console, this makes all what I've just said completely irrelevant. ^_^

All that being said. More pixels do not usually equals more fun.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You're asking a difficult question. Short answer, we don't know, and consoles aren't updated in the way I think you mean. When a system is released, generally the chip/GPU in it don't change – they might add a faster disc drive or whatever. Long answer: well, he just means the chips run colder. IME (I have the second generation of Xbox 360s) mine runs quieter and cooler then the first generation. As they drop chip size, introduce better cooling methods, etc. they'll pass these advancements on to consumers. As for a wireless adapter? That's pure speculation – for now, it's practically impossible that Microsoft will bundle an adapter. However, you can pick up USB Wi-fi for $15, so it's not a big added expense.

Time frame? Impossible to say, unless you're the one developing the chips/cooling methods.

Gaming? Well, all of the consoles will be good for playing with friends, though the Wii's seems to be the most oriented towards just plain fun. *shrugs* depends on what kind of games you play.

18. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

so is the concensus:
    1. xbox is good for fps (well, that's what i care the most, personally)
    2. wii is good for playing games with friends (i still didn't get a reason why, is it because of the game for wii are more multiplayer offline oriented or?)
    3. graphic, among other specs for all of them are pretty much the same
    4. the only real difference is the exclusive games for them?

the one big thing i want to do w/ it is to play co-op in ghost recon with my gf against AI's... and some other not particular more relaxing games...

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Decent conclusion.

I think this is because the Gamecube had a lot of 4 players local games with many "Piss in your pants" funny situations. It looks like it could be even funnier on the Wii. (Wario Moves, Raving Rabids, Elebits, etc…)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo have just always had better multiplayer orientated games. Party games. Hell they have the Mario Party series, games mocked until played. Smash Bros Melee is insanity, Mario Kart, F-Zero GX. Even MP2 had a basic Goldeneye style multiplayer (which was Marmite).
    and yes. I sold my PS2 but found that all the big PS2 games that I was interested in made it to the Xbox. MGS2, GTA etc.

and to the other message you posted -
    It was announced or implied a long time ago that cooler running 360 chips will be in later 360's. Heat is a huge issue to the 360 and MS are trying anything to tackle it.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would agree with you there. Kinda sorta. For some reason 2 player split screen bothers me but 4 player split screen doesn't... Split left and right you don't have much left and right field of view, and split top and bottom you lack top/bottom field of view usually...

While having more pixels in 4 player split screen will make it crisper and possibly easier to read, having more pixels typically won't show any additional space on the screen. If you play the same game on the Wii, 360, or PS3 you will still have the same field of view generally providing they're all in widescreen. Very rarely in PC gaming do you even get larger fields of view at higher resolution...

I guess it depends on the genre though... RTS's usually expand the FoV whereas FPS's don't.

Bah... just get games you think you'll have fun playing... screw specs and pixels and super DTS 18.3 surround dolby sound with ultra holographic super definition. If the game sucks, good graphics and such won't make up for it. If the game is good, you won't really care about the graphics.

22. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

so is that problem 1. been fixed, 2. being fixed, 3. going to be fixed? and also, what time frame am i looking at?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No idea. but as time goes on and the other 2 new consoles are offering free built in WiFi, questions will be asked as to why MS aren't bundling WiFi in for free too. and it's only a matter of time until the HD-DVD drive becomes built in rather than an obtrusive external HD-DVD player.

My 360 loving mate confessed he's worried about his machine. The HDD is bolted on to the side, an external HD-DVD player. he just wants everything built into one package. I'd like that too.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Free? You have to pay $100 extra to get the PS3 with WiFi. Only Wii has it in the base model.

25. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

great... just when i almost decided to get a 360 for my b-day...
    so raggedjimmi, you are pretty much telling me that i shouldn't get 360 now, and should wait for ps3 or wii?

just a thought, i still want comments: see, i'm not that big of a fan of games like mario brothers, etc... i don't have lots of ppl coming over for party all the time, id rather just play games by myself, and w/ my gf... which means i don't get to take advantage of wii, or is that not true..