Help in Geektool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by no.1 Apple Fan, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

Jul 8, 2009
    In a pineapple under the sea
    Hi everyone! I am wondering about Geektool. Everyone on here seems to know how to use it (I see it all the time on the "Post your Desktop" forums). I would really like to know how to get the weather and stuff on the desktop. I downloaded it a week or so ago and I fooled around a bit and on the internet I managed to find a script that puts a little calender on the desktop. I tried tons and tons of scripts but none of them worked except that one. I am just wondering how all you guys know how to do that stuff and how you learn. Scripts for it would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2008
    You may need to install Lynx and that is why they werent working, but I never tried installing it since it would never really work.
    The only two things I have on my GeekTools is:

The weather -
    curl --silent "" | grep -e "Current Conditions" -A 1 | tail -n 1 | sed -e 's/<BR \/>//'
    In the script where it says YOURZIPCODE, replace it with your zip code.

And then I have a big clock -
    date "+%l:%M"
    Very simple.
    I never learned my scripts, probably most of the people who have it just copy and pasted scripts from other people. Like me. :eek:
  3. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Then you must have been inputting the scripts incorrectly or something. There's really nothing tricky about Geektool other than getting the syntax exactly right.
  4. macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Everything has been packaged into one thread, the GeekTool Thread
    You will find all of the information you need there.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.