Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neochaser5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hi All,

I just got a macbook pro (which me and my wife is loving it!) and and I have tried to connect it to my Windows 7 desktop so that I will be able to browse the files from it. however i have 2 problems facing right now:

1. The way I connect to the Desktop is through the Go>Connect to Server button in Finder by typing in the IP address. My questions is, does it always have to be like this?

2. When I try to play movies stored in my desktop, it buffers; is there any way to speed up the process of loading without me copying the entire movie to my macbook pro?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
I've had a lot of problems with Windows 7 file sharing. That said, I would recommend installing the Bonjour service on your Windows computer. That should allow you to connect to the PC by name, and it should show up in your Finder.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Hi

1) Once you've connected to the windows machine - you know that the icon for the drive appears in your finder? drag and drop it to your dock.

next time you need to connect, click on it. Don't forget to add the password to the keychain

2) To solve the buffer issue. try using XBMC media player. It has its own player and codecs and is awesome for getting around your issue of playing/buffering in quicktime. http://xbmc.org/

Bonjour isn't needed for this use. I stream from my mac and pc and visa versa with no issues using XBMC.

Have fun

neochaser5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hey

Hi guys. ive got the xbmc installed and added the ip address however when i tried to play i, it gives an error message. am i missing something here? sorry im totally new to mac. also i when i drag and drop the icon on the dock, it doesnt stay there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.