Help in selecting a new 20"Imac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macfevorite, Sep 14, 2006.

1. macfevorite macrumors member

macfevorite

I've decided to make the switch!Presently have a Sony FX3110 Vaio laptop .Spoke to an apple rep and was advised to just buy the 20", 2.16 as configured. All I'm doing is writing that classic novel and surfing the web and delving into the creative side of the OS system. Who know about the other creative posssiblities as I explore Ilife. Other software added is Ilisten (due to wrist pain). Also purchasing the Ipod Nano 4gb.. I just want to be sure I won't need extra RAM or memory. Any advice? :eek:

2. iVersa macrumors 6502

I think me along with everyone else here will suggest putting in as much ram as you can afford. While it will run fine on 512mb, it will run so much better with more.

Although you could get the standard one and if you find it too slow update the ram at a later date.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Actually the iMac 20" comes stock with 1GB RAM now which will probably be fine.

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I think, if you stay limited to JUST universals, you will be OK with 512/1 gig. It is rosetta that seems to be the ram hog. But I would make more memory a priority when you get it. Do not buy from Apple, to much $$$$- much cheaper (and easy to do!).

5. macfevorite thread starter macrumors member

macfevorite

Thanks,everyone. I love Mac folks....so friendly and helpful. I can't wait to buy my Imac. Now....I wonder...will a 4gb Nano be enuff seeing I will only use it for exercising and walking or sitting in a coffee shop. The 8gb seems like overkill. Thoughts?:) :eek:

6. iVersa macrumors 6502

Ah yes my mistake, 1gb certainly should be fine.

Also 4gb nano is more than enough for what it sounds like you need it for.

7. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

1GB is more than enough ram for the tasks you've described. I'd say 768MG is the cutoff for me.

4GB nano? I have a 2GB ... I'm a half-marathon runner, I use my nano at least 3 hours per day and it's more than enough space. We're talking about 400 songs or so. At 4GB, you're way beyond that. Plenty.

Enjoy that iMac. It's a sweet piece of machinery.