Help Install Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Silver Surfer, May 18, 2005.

1. Silver Surfer macrumors newbie

Ok I'm doing a clean install of Tiger again. This about the 20th time cause I've had issues with downloading Widgets.

Everything is fine until it asks for my .Mac account. I know I'm type it correctly but it tells me my info is wrong. However if I skip the first time it asks for my account, but I type my info manually and then when it ask if I want a new .Mac or I'm currently .Mac member it takes my account info. It worked for me before, is there a limited on how many times you can re-install Tiger?

PLEASE HELP

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. Silver Surfer thread starter macrumors newbie

Come guys am I the only one having this problem?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As many people have posted as many different problems with Tiger, if you have really re-installed twenty times because of widgets, then yes, I think you might indeed be the only one with this problem.

First of all, what about widgets would make you re-install Tiger?

Second, I don't even think you need to provide .mac information to re-install Tiger. What kind of re-installs? Archive or Erase? If you re-format the drive, I'm not sure the install disk is even going to know how many times it's been installed.

5. Silver Surfer thread starter macrumors newbie

Widgets weren't showing up even after downloading and searching with spotlight did find them. However they didn't work. It was a erase install.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

It's true, you'll never know how many times you install tiger. And Widgets, you don't need to re-install tiger to get them working. All you do is download the widget, install it by double clicking on the Widget package (ends in widget I think) and it installs for you. If you are having trouble installing them, then it may require OS 10.4.1 or may require that you have a different Widget interface (not Dashboard, but there are some out there that are made for mac for Panther).

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sometimes, I have seen that double clicking a widget will launch it without putting it in the dashboard. The other thing you can do is drag the widget file to ~/library/widgets (the widget folder in the library folder in your home folder).

So back to installing...what happens if you just decline to provide the .mac info? You're not required to, are you?

8. Silver Surfer thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the part that gets me, the first time when asks me and I put in all my info it tells me that it's wrong. But you know you leave it blank by hitting continue and it will ask you if you want to buy .mac account, don't want one, or if I'm already a member at last part of installation. I click that I'm already a member and this time it takes the account info. That's what's been bugging me.

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The .mac thing didn't work for me when installing as well (clean install) so I just ignored it putting it down to an internet connectivity problem or something and then once it installed it took my .mac account without a worry.

I wouldn't be concerned just put it down as a glitch and move along...