Help!! Installed Divx and converted files!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Philium, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Philium macrumors newbie

Anyone, I just installed divx and apparantly doing so has converted many of my files to avi's. I'm not sure how this happened, but I noticed it after trying to go back into a project on DVD Studio Pro...none of the mpegs will open in quicktime or studio pro. I don't know how to convert them back to mpegs. What should I do?:confused:

If it helps, I'm on a powerbook g4, with Mac OS X 10.4.6....and I have quicktime 7....also the Divx is the newest one for macs...

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you sure it actually converted the files into a different format? Maybe it just changed the default program in which they open. If this is the case, you can change them back by selecting the file and pressing Cmd+i on your keyboard. From there you can select which program you would like from the drop-down menu.

3. Philium thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I thought that might be the case, but the quicktime file logo appears as the icon and opening with quicktime doesn't work. I checked into your suggestion and quicktime is the default for the files...

4. Philium thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry everyone, I figured it out...the problem was that the codecs in the quicktime library from divx were not supporting the avi's already on my comp. I removed the codecs from the quicktime library (macintosh HD/library/quicktime) and removed the divx programs for now. Everything is working again. Thanks for your input eric. :rolleyes:

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, I tried. :eek: