help installing a printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by twoodcc, Apr 7, 2005.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok i'm finally going to install my printer on my mac mini. i've never installed a printer on a mac before, so i thought i would ask before i messed it up. it's an epson all-in-one printer. stylus cx5400. do i plug it up first, or click on the utility "printer intaller" or whatever first?

2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I'm not sure on your machine how to do it, but I just bought a pb for the first time so we have the same operating system I assume.

As a troubleshooting note...if it does not work the first time you install it, I had to install the Classic 9 OS cd that came with my computer before it would install the drivers from HP. Good luck

RD

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have 10.3.8 (i think). do i have to download drivers? get them from the cd? or what?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hey...

Just try pluggin it in first. Macs come with a lot of printer drivers preinstalled. If it doesn't work...THEN troubleshoot.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, i guess i'll try it. i was just asking advice first. so i should just plug it up and start the printer installer?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

NOoo..

No, seriously, just plug it in and press print.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, if you say so

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i plugged up the printer and opened printer setup utility, and it found the printer, but said "driver not installed". and i couldn't add the printer. how do i install the driver?

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i got the printer to work after downloading and installing a driver from epson. really all i needed to know was if i needed to download a driver or not. but thanks anyways. if i have any problems i'll post here, and if there's anything i need to know about printing/scanning/etc on a mac, please let me know.