Help installing cd on Mac 9.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bob9, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Bob9 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Iam trying to help my 8 yr. old niece install programs and games on Mac 9.1. The book I got said an install icon would appear with the file icons, after opening the cd. No such icon appeared. One of the cd's never showed anything on the screen. What is wrong?
    I downloaded the files using my Windows pc - is that a problem? They never ran on my pc, but could something been omitted by Windows? All were specific for Mac 9.1.
    She has a cd made for Mac 9.1 - it didn't download either, but she could play some of the games. She is curious - could she have removed something we need. She has learned about the trash can and how to use it.
    The one cd that showed nothing was Quick Time. Messages keep popping up saying it is neede to run games and audio cds.
    Sorry about the wordieness - any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Bob9
    :confused:

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

"Iam trying to help my 8 yr. old niece install programs and games on Mac 9.1. The book I got said an install icon would appear with the file icons, after opening the cd."

What book? A general help Mac book, or a program specific book?

"No such icon appeared."

Then you don't have a Mac install CD.

"One of the cd's never showed anything on the screen. What is wrong?
    I downloaded the files using my Windows pc - is that a problem?"

Most likely, yes. Downloading Mac files onto a PC, then burning them to a CD in the hopes of running or installing them onto a Mac is frought with pitfalls. Why not simply use the Mac to download the same files again? It will be MUCH easier.

"They never ran on my pc, but could something been omitted by Windows?"

Yes, the files were likely butchered. I used to know specifically how, but a Google search for "download mac files onto a pc" or something should get you started in your research.

"She has a cd made for Mac 9.1"

What does that mean?

" - it didn't download either,"

CDs don't download, so your meaning is unclear. Do you mean it wouldn't mount? Or that there were no installers? [Was it a commercial game CD?] Or that the application files were not there? I am confused as to what exactly is happening.

"but she could play some of the games."

This means that those games were on the CD.

"She is curious - could she have removed something we need. She has learned about the trash can and how to use it."

Learn to protect all files and folders by downloading one of the various programs designed to protect the computer when dealing with kids. Check http://versiontracker.com.

"The one cd that showed nothing was Quick Time. Messages keep popping up saying it is neede to run games and audio cds."

It most certainly is required for any self-respecting Mac owner. It also is a free download, so hook up the Mac to the internet, and get QuickTime. Then install it.

Also, first make sure Stuffit Expander is on the computer. If not, you need to get it from http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html.

3. Bob9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, spinne 1. The Mac is not connected to the internet.

Bob9
    :)