Help installing Linux

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BoneyardBoy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. BoneyardBoy macrumors member

Hi ppl i need help! I've got a 1.25ghz emac, OS 10.3.7 and I'm trying to install Yellow Dog Linux on it. My hard disk's partitioned in 2 halves, one's loaded with OS X and the other's empty. I've downloaded and burnt all 3 disk images for Yellow Dog Linux and am trying to begin installation from the first disc but I'm having the most stupid problem... my mac won't boot from the cd!! I've even tried downloading the version of MandrakeLinux for PPC's but I still get the same problem there just trying to boot from disc 1!Any ideas?

Stephen

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. BoneyardBoy thread starter macrumors member

yup. during boot, before boot, on boot. tried everything

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....try seeing if it will boot from your Mac OS X install cd...if it does, we can rule out a problem with drive itself....oh yeah!

5. BoneyardBoy thread starter macrumors member

yup it boots from that no problem

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Are you burning the CDs correctly?

Go to System Preferences> Startup Disk and see if one of the YDL disks are listed there, if they're not, then your burning the CD wrong.

7. BoneyardBoy thread starter macrumors member

hmm well it's not showing in there so i guess that's the culprit. i burnt it in disk utility. just selected the iso and hit burn. is there any options in disk utility i shouldve checked?

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've never used Disk Utility to burn a bootable CD, maybe someone else could explain how to use it.

I've always used Terminal to burn bootable CDs. Put the YDL iso on the desktop, and open the Terminal, and type "cd desktop" then to burn the CD you need to type "hdiutil burn ****.iso" and replace the *** with the name of the iso. It would probably be better to just rename the iso 'YDL.iso' in the Finder, and then burn it to avoid spelling mistakes.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I didn't know about that. I once tried to burn a Knoppix/PPC CD using Disk Utility the way the original poster described it, and of course it did not work - I had the same symptoms as the original poster.

10. Sefer11 macrumors newbie

Try using "option"

I had the same problem when I first installed YDL. Here is a solution. When your Mac first turns on, hold down the "option" key until you see a screen that gives you a list of startup disks. Then you choose the one that has the Penguin image on top of a CD. That should boot YDL.

11. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... But if it didn't show up in the startup disk control panel, it probably wouldn't show up here either.

12. BoneyardBoy thread starter macrumors member

i tried burning it through the terminal like how u said but it's still like before... not booting from it or showing up in system preferences. v strange. you'd think this was a pc or something...

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

And you are choosing "Burn image" in Disk Utility?

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Not sure if this interests you or not... but Yellow Dog Linux is based off of Fedora Core 2. FC2 is kinda outdated as Fedora Core 3 is out now and much better (they actually have a PPC version of it). But in any case, I've found the best PowerPC distribution of linux to be Ubuntu Linux. It is free, and it only uses one CD. Its installer is not graphical, but very easy to use. Just do a google search for it.
    http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=9211