Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spidler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Hey, I recently found myself a PowerMac G3 350 mhrz and want to put OS X on it. It currently has 8.5 installed on it, so when I tryed to boot from the install disk I got the weird source-like jargin. Anyway, I tried to install the "9.2.1 Update" but it says that my Firmware is out-of-date and that I need to run the utilities from the CD Extra folder. Well, I think that the CD that I got when I bought this computer is from a G3 Server, so it doesn't look to have any firmware updates on it.

Anyway, what should my next step be? Where would I find firmware updates that old? :p This compu will be worthless for me if I can't upgrade it to OS X, Classic is dead.

Thanks for any help.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
spidler said:
Anyway, what should my next step be? Where would I find firmware updates that old? :p This compu will be worthless for me if I can't upgrade it to OS X, Classic is dead.

Apple's website will have them. But they have to be done in 9.2 or 9.1 IIRC... not OS X, and not sure about OS 8.6.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
If I remember this right when I installed OS X on my G3's
I had to install 9.0 > 9.1 >9.2.0 >9.2.1>9.2.2 to get it to work in OS X
the OS 9 installer is the one that had the firmware updates, and I think 8.6 had one too.
Make sure you HD format is the right one too. I think it is supposed to be Mac OS Extended in order to install OS X, so you might have to wipe the hard drive.
BTW I got rid of OS 9.2 from the G3's about a month later so you might just want to install OS X on a clean drive.

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
make sure you also have LESS than 512 MB ram in it. I've tried to install Panther on older G3 powerbooks several times and had to remove ram chips to get it to complete installation. After installing panther you can put the ram chip back in. Weird, but it works.

spidler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
awesome, you guys are great help. But don't I have to pay for OS 9.0? I don't want to buy an out-of-date OS just to delete it when I upgrade to OS X...

but I'll look around Apple.com

Thanks

spidler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
i need more help. I got my compu upt to 9.2.2, but now when I try to install it I still get the panic jargin and it says something that I THINK means That it cant install on PowerMac 1,1. So, I got XPostFacto3, but it said it wasn't compatible with Powermac1,1...

what should I do? Is there no hope?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.