Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello,
I have a iMac G3 (Indigo) running Mac OS 9.0.1.
I'm trying to install Panther on it so I can give it to my handicapped brother that does not see very well to use for Office:2004 (The 800x600 resolution is perfect).
The problem is, my retail Panther CD says that a firmware update is needed. I have tried downloading it, and installing it, but I get the error message that a later build of Mac OS is required (9.2).
How can I install this? I can't really plug it into ethernet and run software update because it was not working when I tried earlier today (The ethernet, that is)

Last edited:

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Thank you for the response.
I've tried updating, and get the failure -39. This is the same failure I get when trying to install the iMac Firmware update.
What I do to install is copy it to a USB flash drive, then drag the file off the flash drive onto the iMac's desktop. Next, it produces error -39 when I try and launch it.
On the Apple support page, it says "-39 eofErr End of file; no additional data in the format"
I really don't know what this means.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Thank you for the response.
I've tried updating, and get the failure -39. This is the same failure I get when trying to install the iMac Firmware update.
What I do to install is copy it to a USB flash drive, then drag the file off the flash drive onto the iMac's desktop. Next, it produces error -39 when I try and launch it.
On the Apple support page, it says "-39 eofErr End of file; no additional data in the format"
I really don't know what this means.

What kind've machine are you attempting to download the file with? IIRC sometimes Windows can corrupt Mac OS 9 files as they all have resource forks and Windows doesn't know how to handle them, so it seems to break them in my experience. Don't know about Mac OS X as I always have Ethernet and just hook my Mac OS 9 machine up to the web to install software. Which software upgrade were you attempting to install? IIRC You should be able to go: 9.0.1 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2 and then be able to update the firmware.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
What kind've machine are you attempting to download the file with? IIRC sometimes Windows can corrupt Mac OS 9 files as they all have resource forks and Windows doesn't know how to handle them, so it seems to break them in my experience. Don't know about Mac OS X as I always have Ethernet and just hook my Mac OS 9 machine up to the web to install software. Which software upgrade were you attempting to install? IIRC You should be able to go: 9.0.1 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2 and then be able to update the firmware.

My MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.7.
I tried the ethernet on the iMac as well, the status light lit up on the airport extreme, but the iMac says it is not connected to the internet when I open a browser or Software Update from the control panels. I don't remember how to configure ethernet when running OS 9.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Try to format USB stick using Mac OS Extended first (it's FAT32 formatted by default). This should help. If it won't and...

...try: http://ibbs-cc.custhelp.com/app/ans...rk-adapter-configuration:-mac-os-8-/-mac-os-9

But you need to connect ethernet cable directly to Airport station, sharing via Ethernet from MB won't work (SL lacks Internet sharing for OS 9 IIRC).

Thanks-
I just rechecked the ethernet settings after upgrading to OS 9.2 from a CD I found. It turns out that DHCP was being configured manually, so I changed and and was able to upgrade my firmware. I'm installing Panther on the machine as I type this.

Thank you everyone for your help. Both my brother and I greatly appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.