Resolved Help installing Panther (10.3) on iMac G3 400Mhz 9.0.1

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mgartner0622, May 31, 2011.

1. mgartner0622, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello,
    I have a iMac G3 (Indigo) running Mac OS 9.0.1.
    I'm trying to install Panther on it so I can give it to my handicapped brother that does not see very well to use for Office:2004 (The 800x600 resolution is perfect).
    The problem is, my retail Panther CD says that a firmware update is needed. I have tried downloading it, and installing it, but I get the error message that a later build of Mac OS is required (9.2).
    How can I install this? I can't really plug it into ethernet and run software update because it was not working when I tried earlier today (The ethernet, that is)

2. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Thank you for the response.
    I've tried updating, and get the failure -39. This is the same failure I get when trying to install the iMac Firmware update.
    What I do to install is copy it to a USB flash drive, then drag the file off the flash drive onto the iMac's desktop. Next, it produces error -39 when I try and launch it.
    On the Apple support page, it says "-39 eofErr End of file; no additional data in the format"
    I really don't know what this means.

4. macrumors 68000

What kind've machine are you attempting to download the file with? IIRC sometimes Windows can corrupt Mac OS 9 files as they all have resource forks and Windows doesn't know how to handle them, so it seems to break them in my experience. Don't know about Mac OS X as I always have Ethernet and just hook my Mac OS 9 machine up to the web to install software. Which software upgrade were you attempting to install? IIRC You should be able to go: 9.0.1 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2 and then be able to update the firmware.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

My MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.7.
    I tried the ethernet on the iMac as well, the status light lit up on the airport extreme, but the iMac says it is not connected to the internet when I open a browser or Software Update from the control panels. I don't remember how to configure ethernet when running OS 9.

6. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try to format USB stick using Mac OS Extended first (it's FAT32 formatted by default). This should help. If it won't and...

...try: http://ibbs-cc.custhelp.com/app/ans...rk-adapter-configuration:-mac-os-8-/-mac-os-9

But you need to connect ethernet cable directly to Airport station, sharing via Ethernet from MB won't work (SL lacks Internet sharing for OS 9 IIRC).

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Thanks-
    I just rechecked the ethernet settings after upgrading to OS 9.2 from a CD I found. It turns out that DHCP was being configured manually, so I changed and and was able to upgrade my firmware. I'm installing Panther on the machine as I type this.

Thank you everyone for your help. Both my brother and I greatly appreciate it.