help installing tiger to eMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lanray, Nov 15, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

I'm trying to update a friend's eMac 1.0 GHz G4 with 40 GB HD and 128 MB RAM and a combo drive. It's running OSX 10.3.9 - I just updated it today, so it's got all the updates possible. I'm trying to install Tiger from the install disk I bought a while back. I put the disk in, restart the eMac, then select English as my primary language, then the disk seems to spin for a bit, it says "preparing", and then the machine freezes. The little blue and white horizontal barber's pole stops spinning, and it just sits there. I let this go on for over an hour, thinking that it was just a slow machine, but nothing happened. I had to shut down the computer with the mouse button clicked and restart to get the install disk out. I just ran a disk utility "verifying volume" on my PB, and it says all is well. So, what's up? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rodney

2. clairejr macrumors newbie

Tiger needs a minimum of 256 MB of RAM so you might not be able to install it on a Mac with only 128 MB of RAM. Even if you could install it on a Mac with that small an amount of RAM, it would run very slowly.

Claire

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get more RAM. Do you know if it's PC133 or DDR RAM?

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have Tiger running on a PowerBook G3 333 (Lombard) with 128 MB of RAM just fine. Expose and Dashboard operate a touch slowly, but it is usable. (I also have 10.3.9 installed on an original 233 MHz iMac G3 with only 96 MB of RAM, and it works just fine for web browsing and iTunes.)

5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure about what kind of RAM it has, and I just shut the machine off - I'll check tomorrow. It sounds like RAM will make things slow, but maybe not impossible? My suspicion is that my install DVD is bad, somehow. But, you'd think that running a "verify" on the disk from disk utilities would catch something....or, am I mistaken about that? Is there anyway I can test it on my PB (which works fine, and already has Tiger) without installing the OS again?