Help. Installing used HD trouble...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DVDSP, Nov 19, 2003.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I bought an ATA/100 HD on eBay, it arrived today. I have never installed a HD before but it looked simple enough.

Here's what I did: screwed the HD into the mount, plugged in data, plugged in HD power.

On reboot (into Panther) I got nothing but a gray screen, not even the Apple logo. I tried several restarts and tried to boot from a couple of different CDs but no go. I got nothing or I got kernel panics.

After unplugging data and power from the HD I was able to restart and everything is normal (I left it in the case though).

The computer it's in is a Dual 450 Graphite G4. Also, the data cable I plugged into the "new" HD is also plugged into the main HD simultaneously.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks,

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

:confused: Umm, huh? See, you've already lost me. Sorry. Just treat me like I have no idea what's what. And like I'm distracted by the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. :)

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

there should be a few pictures with dots and bars (representing jumpers), you want to make your hard drive a slave, not a master drive since you already have one in, so you just need to find out where you need to move the jumper to make the hard drive a slave

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Thanks for you help, everything is working great now! I never even noticed those jumper switches before.

Thanks again,