Help: Interlaced program windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by superninjagoat, Oct 20, 2004.

1. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

In OS 9 and below, when an application was selected, all of it's application windows came to the foreground. OS X allows application windows to be interlaced.

I much prefer the OS 9 behavior, and I'd like to make OS X work that way.

I vaguely remember a setting that could be changed via command line that would restore this behavior. I think I read it on these pages, but I may have seen it elsewhere. Regardless, I couldn't find it when I searched the forums.

Anyone remember this trick and how to do it? Also, does it still work with Panther (I'm running 10.3.5)? I think I saw the trick in the 10.1.X days.

Any help would be appreciated. s.n.goat

__NOTE__
    What I really want is to be able to click on my desktop and bring all finder windows to the foreground. Perhaps I can change the behavior of the Finder w/0 changing other programs?

2. superninjagoat thread starter macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Sex, lies and Macintosh

Sorry for the misleading title. I previously posted with a less sexy thread title "interlaced program window" or some such, but I received a dozen or so views and no responces. Perhaps this time I'll get an answer ...

In OS 9 and below, when an application was selected, all of it's application windows came to the foreground. OS X allows application windows to be interlaced.

I much prefer the OS 9 behavior, and I'd like to make OS X work that way.

I vaguely remember a setting that could be changed via command line that would restore this behavior. I think I read it on these pages, but I may have seen it elsewhere. Regardless, I couldn't find it when I searched the forums.

Anyone remember this trick and how to do it? Also, does it still work with Panther (I'm running 10.3.5)? I think I saw the trick in the 10.1.X days.

Any help would be appreciated. s.n.goat

__NOTE__
    What I really want is to be able to click on my desktop and bring all finder windows to the foreground. Perhaps I can change the behavior of the Finder w/0 changing other programs?

[From Doctor Q: I don't like the precedent of using purposely misleading thread titles, so I merged the threads. In the meantime, I think you got your answer.]

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I will respond but its useless in my opinon (my reply that is).

I dont know. Last OS i used before this one (OSX) was the one that was around like 10 years ago and i dont remmber anything, so cant offer you anything.

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

this isn't really a solution, but you could always just click the dock icon or use f10 in exposé and tab.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Somewhat inelegant, but if you select an application, then use Exposé to display all windows, which will bring them all to the front.

Clicking on any of them will leave them all in the front.

Edit: Beaten to it!

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I know this might not be what you want to hear but you know you can click on the application icon in the dock right?

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think the quickest is to apple+tab to the program you want to bring to the front. (App switcher)

8. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

the reason OS 9 did that was because of it's poor multitasking.

It's a feature in OS X that not all the app's windows need to be in the foreground.

9. superninjagoat thread starter macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

One man's feature is another man's annoyance. I've been using the "click the Finder icon" solution thus far. But I keep my dock extremely small, and aiming for it takes more effort that clicking on some exposed portion of the desktop. Plus (and this is my main problem with this solution) depending on how many items are in the dock, the finder icon moves ever-so-slightly. So much for muscle memory.

ALL: I know there's a solution to this somewhere. It was a command-line setting …

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

REPEAT- screw going to the dock- apple+tab to it. Takes a fraction of a second.

11. superninjagoat thread starter macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

OK, you win. That's actually quicker that what I was doing before. Funny enough, I use Ap Switcher to quit programs frequently, but until today, I've not actually used it for – get ready – switching applications.

Thanks for knocking some sense in me. s.n.goat

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

The old utility ASM, although its main purpose was to bring back the App Switcher Menu in the top right (hence its name), had a feature to enable this behavior (both "all app windows stay together" and "desktop clicking brings all Finder windows to front"). It went from freeware to $15 shareware, and development seems to have stopped, but it apparently still works fine under 10.3.5.

I enjoyed using ASM myself through 10.2.something, but somewhere in there I just started dock-clicking instead, and have started to enjoy the window interlacing in a lot of cases now--I can keep a dozen windows open in an app and still use one of them without having all the inactive windows overwhelm everything else on the screen.

Some comments on VersionTracker suggest trying Butler for similar functionality, but I'm not familiar with that app.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...hmmmm...thread titles getting "sexed up", whatever next...[​IMG]...

14. superninjagoat thread starter macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

You do what you gotta' do. :)

15. superninjagoat thread starter macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Thanks. The menu items sound familiar. I believe that was the "fix" I remembered. s.n.goat