Help.. Internet Sharing/DHCP/?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bellis1, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Under my sharing preferences it says:

"Other Macintosh users can access your computer at afp://dhcp-183-3..."

instead of

"Other Macintosh users can access your computer at afp://129.81.183..."

if I connect via ssh just using the IP address I get a failed and error for getaddrinfo, authentication, verification.

I am within a network that assigns DHCP/IP addresses but it was not until today that this happened and it has not happened on my other computer. I did try to set-up a computer to computer network via airport recently but have that turned off. I also replaced the midplane on my computer this morning but think that is unrelated. Any ideas how to fix this. Am I now some sort of rogue DHCP server on my network?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

That message is related to other users conencting to your computer for Personal File Sharing, not internet sharing. It gives the message "dhcp-183-" instead of an ip address, because that is what the DHCP server that you connect to gave to your machine. Nothing wrong here....

Lee Tom

3. bellis1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question.

Why do I have this on only one of my computers at work. When I try to connect remotely either through ssh, http, etc. the DHCP string does not work and I just have to use the IP address. Why doesn't sharing tell me to just use my IP address?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Probably because the DNS name doesn't resolve for DHCP-183.foo, so you have to use the numerical IP address.

To test this:

nslookup DHCP-183.whatever

And when it spits out the numerical address (your IP), do the reverse look up:

nslookup 183.whatever

I suspect you'll get an error on the second one, as in:

** server can't find foo.foo.foo.183.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I can't say why it's only on one computer and not another, it could be the way your office is set up, or perhaps that one is setting its own IP address and one is getting its IP address through DHCP.

As to why it doesn't work when you use the name instead of the number... If a name isn't a "proper" public DNS name that has propigated across the Internet DNS servers, then most computers won't be able to resolve it into a number. Most times, the only computer that could resolve it would be the one computer that got handed the name.

Pretty common and normal networking issues that don't say anything about your Mac or how it's setup.

Lee Tom