Help! Internet will work on OSX, but not OS9?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wylie, May 20, 2004.

1. macrumors member

hi

first of all this problem has been bugging me since ive owned my powermac G4

So ive got an internet connection running from broadband, into a router, connecting to my computer

Ive got the internet working fine on OSX, but i havnt a clue how to configure it on OS9

any help would be MUCH appreciated

im sure theres someone here that knows?

Thanks for your time

2. macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I have never used OS 9 so I have no idea on how you would configure it. However, if your router came with software, try installing it on OS 9. Also, check your brower settings. I hope this has some truth to it...

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

3. macrumors member

I know my OS9, and I knew it was a **** to setup in OS9, broadband that is. But what kind of broadband you use? (A)DSL? I had to install something called a VPN Tunnelbuilder for ADSL, I don't know what people should do when on cable in OS9.

4. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

what kind of broadband would help...I know Verizon DSL won't work with OS9! Requires OSX. Is there a reason you want it to work with os9? Let us know why and we might be able to help you figure out a way to get rid of using OS9 and stay in OSX.

Johnny

5. macrumors G4

On computers that don't boot into MacOS 9, Classic appears to inherit its Internet connection protocol from MacOS X 10.x. The TCP/IP control panel is not included. If your router uses DHCP, then you should have no problem. In fact, I find that it is easier to connect to the Internet with MacOS 9 than with MacOS X 10.x. A major problem is that not every router is a Linksys.

You might try this: Find a copy of the TCP/IP control panel from a bootable installation of the same version of MacOS 9 as your copy of Classic. Install it. Configure it properly.

6. macrumors regular

if you are in os 9,
    go to the apple menu -> control panel -> tcp/ip -> set connect via to ethernet and configure to dhcp
    exit out and save.
    should work.

7. macrumors regular

that answer assumes the router is what you are going through.

8. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I have RoadRunner (basic broadband huh!) I use OS 10.2.8 with Safari, OmniWeb, Camino, and FireFox. When I boot into OS 9 I have Internet Explorer 5.x running there and no problems. Classic web browsers are free downloads and work seemlessly in Classic. Just remember use Classic software when in Classic :D