Help- IP address is self-assigned

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Learjet035, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna me @ a hotel for 30 days and they have a wireless setup. When I 1st got there I had no problem connecting to the internet via the wireless setup. I closed my lid on my PB, came back a bit later and since then have beed unable to connect. I have full signal, and it says I am connected to the hilton wireless account. My safari reads " you are not connected to the internet" or something similar. After hunting around a bit in the airport setup, I found this "Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." My neighboor has a PB and is online no problem. We tried to share his internet connection, and again I see his PB in the wifi but cannot connect. I spoke with a tech guy and he mentioned something about my ip begining with a 169.254 was a problem. Any ideas? Thanks a ton!!!

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried restarting your Mac? Many times that will solve the problem. It may just be that the router had reached it's maximum number of connections as well.

In terms of connecting to your friend's shared "line", make sure you switch out of your current location and back so that it clears the DHCP assignment.

The fact that you have a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address is a symptom, not a cause of the problem.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

The 169.254 IP address is the self-assigned IP. I would try two things for starters.

First, I would turn off the Airport, then turn it back on.

If the problem persists, you may try rebooting. Theoretically, your system should automatically try to get an IP from the DHCP server, however, rebooting should force this to occur.

4. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have shut down and restarted a few times actually to no avail. I called apple care, but the person I spoke to told me that my airport card may have been disconnected, it didnt' really sound like she knew what she was talk n about. I pulled the bat and it ws fine. We also dragged the airport to the top of the list. SHe said that would prioritize the airport but that didnt work. I still have full signal and am showing connected to hilton, but still nada. HELP, I have to use a public PC until then!!!!! NOOoooo

5. belvdr macrumors 601

As a test, use your neighbor's computer to jot down his/her information. Then try pinging IP addresses in that range until you find one that does not respond.

Now, enter the IP that didn't respond and use the rest of the information from your neighbor's computer (subnet mask, gateway, and DNS).

Try accessing the Internet or pinging your neighbor's IP address. If it works then you are simply not receiving an offer from the DHCP server. If it does not work, then you may not really be connected to the wireless at all.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

?

Have you called the Hilton tech support to ask why you're not able to get a DHCP address?

7. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'll have to call them. I am @ school now on another wireless system, and strangely I am able to connect via internet explorer, then open safari, then it works!! But safari solo, nada. This is strange. I appreciate all your input. Any other ideas?

8. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved, I spoke with the techs for the hotel 800#. Anyway, they said something about blocking certain computer (macs) due to bandwith issues. Not sure why, but it's working now. Thanks all for the input anyway. If you ever goto a hotel now and this happens, now ya know it's not you.