Help: iPad Locked Up and Totally Unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pruppert, May 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

pruppert

So I was just streaming a TV show to my iPad in the AirVideo app and all of a sudden the video stopped and the screen froze. Now the iPad is 100% unresponsive from what I can tell. Holding down the home button does nothing. Holding down the power button (for a reboot) does nothing. The iPad just remains frozen, displaying only the video still of the moment when the video in AirVideo stopped playing.

What should I do? Any suggestions.

2. macrumors regular

Press the home button and on/off button at the same time for around 10 secs.

3. macrumors member

Have you tried holding down both buttons?

4. macrumors 603

saving107

2 options to try.

1. hold the power button for 10-15 seconds until you get the Power Off slider, then hold the Home button for 3-5 seconds, this will force quit your app.

2. hold the power button and the home button for 10-15 seconds together to force reboot your iPad.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

pruppert

Oh, MacRumors community, you are the best. Holding down both buttons for about 6 seconds forced a reboot. I was worried for a minute there. I didn't know you could reboot by holding both buttons. I just thought that took a screenshot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. macrumors newbie

Alas as you may have....

...discovered, your problems have just begun. It's a hardware glitch regarding iPad & video. Apple is being very quiet about it but MANY folks have units that are freezing/ locking up when playing any sort of video.....

A hard reset will not solve the issue (nor will a reinstallation of the software).

As you've probably guessed, I have this problem too. In my case it's with a new 3G that fedex just placed into my hands yesterday. I have an appointment today at a genius bar. Here's hoping that i can exchange this lemon for one that isn't....

7. macrumors 68040

Just videos?

I'm starting to see some frozen issues in other applications like Safari, Atomic and iBooks. I reset it but so far nothing atm.

8. macrumors regular

+1

my wifi launch unit had the video freezing problem. search my older threads to read about it. also, you can check out this discussion i found on the apple forums. apple ended up replacing mine at my genius bar appointment.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2388446&tstart=0