Help: iPad Locked Up and Totally Unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pruppert, May 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2008
    So I was just streaming a TV show to my iPad in the AirVideo app and all of a sudden the video stopped and the screen froze. Now the iPad is 100% unresponsive from what I can tell. Holding down the home button does nothing. Holding down the power button (for a reboot) does nothing. The iPad just remains frozen, displaying only the video still of the moment when the video in AirVideo stopped playing.

What should I do? Any suggestions.
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Near Glasgow
    Press the home button and on/off button at the same time for around 10 secs.
  3. macrumors member

Feb 26, 2010
  4. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    2 options to try.

1. hold the power button for 10-15 seconds until you get the Power Off slider, then hold the Home button for 3-5 seconds, this will force quit your app.

2. hold the power button and the home button for 10-15 seconds together to force reboot your iPad.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2008
    Oh, MacRumors community, you are the best. Holding down both buttons for about 6 seconds forced a reboot. I was worried for a minute there. I didn't know you could reboot by holding both buttons. I just thought that took a screenshot.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  6. macrumors newbie

May 1, 2010
    Alas as you may have....

...discovered, your problems have just begun. It's a hardware glitch regarding iPad & video. Apple is being very quiet about it but MANY folks have units that are freezing/ locking up when playing any sort of video.....

A hard reset will not solve the issue (nor will a reinstallation of the software).

As you've probably guessed, I have this problem too. In my case it's with a new 3G that fedex just placed into my hands yesterday. I have an appointment today at a genius bar. Here's hoping that i can exchange this lemon for one that isn't....
  7. macrumors 601

Nov 12, 2007
    Just videos?

I'm starting to see some frozen issues in other applications like Safari, Atomic and iBooks. I reset it but so far nothing atm.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2008

my wifi launch unit had the video freezing problem. search my older threads to read about it. also, you can check out this discussion i found on the apple forums. apple ended up replacing mine at my genius bar appointment.