HELP: iPhone randomly returns to home screen when in Safari!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GeneticFreak84, Oct 17, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I'll be surfing the internet and my iPhone 3G will just randomly close out and return to the home screen. I noticed this has started to occur more and more.

WTF? :mad:

2. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Safari is crashing. In other words, whatever is loading is somehow using up all of the small amount of memory that the iPhone has. What are you trying to load? Graphics-intense pages seem to be the main offenders (for example, news sites).

3. macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Crash!

4. macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Make sure your firmware is up to date.... this helps with apps crashing.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

My firmware is the most recent - 2.1. Surprisingly, it seems that the "crashing" has INCREASED since I updated to this new software :confused:

Yes, I browse alot of message boards (like this one) and it crashes all the time :mad:

Is there I can do to help fix/reduce this from happening?

6. macrumors 65816

Kernow

I have noticed the same thing - Safari crashing a lot more since the last update. It seems to be much more common on sites with Flash, but is by no means limited to them.

7. macrumors member

I, too, have noticed this problem - and it has been on the rise since the most recent firmware update. Strangely, it doesn't only seem to crash when loading a page or even scrolling. It happens even when I'm reading still text on the page.

Hopefully it will be addressed next time around.

8. macrumors 65816

yes that would be safari crashing

I visit a lot of forums when i have some down time. Safari looooves to crash when trying to respond to forum threads

The best advice I can give you is to let the website COMPLETELY load, before you start trying to navigate it

Doing this method safari seems to crash about 1/4 the times it use to

9. macrumors 6502a

Info I found on the net reguarding SAFARI crashing

From Tim S

10. macrumors member

ironically, i get crashes when trying to browse the web apps on Apple's own web site! LOL

11. macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Ive heard that if you delete unnecessary apps from your homescreen it drastically reduces your risk of having safari crash

12. macrumors regular

I also find that Apple's own web sites cause my iPhone Safari to crash more than other sites.

The bottom line is that Safari for iPhone has been buggy and crash-prone for me. It's just a buggy application that isn't up to Apple's standards, yet there it is on their flagship product, causing my phone to crash several times a day.

13. macrumors 6502a

I just went to the apple store today and try out 3 of their display iphone 3g with OS 2.1, it all crash and boot back to home screen on http://apple.com/iphone/appstore, it also crash on one of the ipod touch with OS2.1.1 and the 2nd ipod touch with OS 2.1.1 load the page without problem, maybe the OS 2.1.1 is the answer to the crash problem.

14. macrumors newbie

I had mine crash on different applications.

15. macrumors regular

Try a reboot of your iPhone.
    Or try a hard reset (home and sleep button).
    Or try not to use the iPod while browsing in Safari, because that is the perfect recipe for crashes.

16. macrumors 65816

Just double tap to zoom any web site, and it will start the crashing like there is no tomorrow. :mad:

17. macrumors 6502a

btbrossard

Story of my life, recently.

Hopefully a not to distant future software update will help this problem :) .

18. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can experience a crash with one tab open on MacRumors.com

This would solve a lot "Try resetting the cache. To reset cache, go to setting-> Safari-> Clear Cache. Also wait until the page finish loading before browsing with your fingers."