Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Or you could grow a pair, accept its your fault, stop trying to screw people, and fork out the money.

How is he trying to screw people? He's already phoned O2 and told them the truth. All he asked was whether it was in some way covered by the guarantee?

Why is everyone so quick to turn on people in this forum?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are water detectors inside the iPhone that change color permanently, and thus completely void the warranty.

There are a couple things which may or may not help according to random reports. Try at your own risk.

Do not try to turn the device on, as any power will increase the corrosion rate. (On other devices where you can disconnect or remove the battery, do so immediately.)

If still wet, soak in distilled or deionized water, as any salts or impurities in the remaining wash water will corrode the connectors inside the device much faster.

Wrap in a thin cloth handkerchief (to keep dust out of the connectors) and put in a large bag of dry uncooked white rice (or other desiccant, such as silica gel). Put the bag of rice containing the iPhone in the sunlight, or someplace warm (but not over 113F/45C), for one week. Change the rice if it looks the least bit damp. Test and repeat if necessary.

A few people have reported their devices coming back to life after a week or two. YMMV.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
How is he trying to screw people? He's already phoned O2 and told them the truth. All he asked was whether it was in some way covered by the guarantee?

A couple of reasons, one there are a thousand threads on this topic with people trying to get a free replacement for something they in fact broke. Two, no intelligent human being would ever assume that a company would put user abuse in it's warranty.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

My comment was not in response to the OP.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
A couple of reasons, one there are a thousand threads on this topic with people trying to get a free replacement for something they in fact broke. Two, no intelligent human being would ever assume that a company would put user abuse in it's warranty.

1. - What harm has he done by asking?

2. - He hasn't tried to rip anyone off and he called O2 without being told to by anyone here. He's not trying to screw them.

I can't really say anything about your final point.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
1. - What harm has he done by asking?

2. - He hasn't tried to rip anyone off and he called O2 without being told to by anyone here. He's not trying to screw them.

I can't really say anything about your final point.

Again, that's why I said I hated to flame him, but a simple search would have shown at least 20 threads regarding this issue. It's seems like one more user that broke their phone and wants someone else to pay for it.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
It's seems like one more user that broke their phone and wants someone else to pay for it.

I think that happens every day. I dropped my phone and it cracked and the mute switch broke. When I took it in to the Apple store and immediately said I dropped it and would pay for the replacement, the guy thanked me for understanding that my damaging the phone wouldn't be covered by the warranty. He was surprised that I wasn't asking for a free replacement. The replacement 3G 16GB phone was about $300.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Again, that's why I said I hated to flame him, but a simple search would have shown at least 20 threads regarding this issue. It's seems like one more user that broke their phone and wants someone else to pay for it.

Actually, I think you rather enjoyed flaming him. You seem like an angry person to feel the need to come onto forums and insult people. Who cares that he missed the other 20 threads? There are people on these forums who enjoy answering the same questions and like to be helpful. You seem to be motivated in the opposite direction.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hi guys, need urgent help my iPhone was in my jeans pocket which then went in the washing machine. It is now dead :( and I don't know what to do!

I am on an o2 contract and bought it in the apple store. Will there be a guarantee with it? Or will I have to buy a brand new iPhone?

Please can someone help me :eek:

Thanks,
Guy

btw this is my 1st post :)

Welcome to MacRumors. It sucks what happened to your phone. Given that a wash cycle is at least 30 minutes with detergent, I'd say your phone is a goner. Tough luck.

DimeTech

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
I accidentally washed and dried my 2g nano in a pair of shorts. I took it out of the pocket and it had condensation in the screen and whatnot and wouldn't turn on. I just tossed it in my drawer and happened to go on vacation for two weeks (thank god for my GF's ipod) When I came back I tried starting it and luckily it booted up fine. Everything was still on it and it has worked like a champ since. Just try letting it dry out before you do anything. If it's still wet and you try to use it, you can fry the electronics. Hell most of these chips and motherboards are tested in water when they are manufactured.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Like another poster said you will be covered under...HOME INSURANCE!!!

Or if you live at home tell your parents to claim....you might have to pay a slight excess but it shouldn't effect your premiums.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Like another poster said you will be covered under...HOME INSURANCE!!!

Or if you live at home tell your parents to claim....you might have to pay a slight excess but it shouldn't effect your premiums.

You'd have to have an unusually small deductible to get anything from insurance.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
if it is because of water... sit it in a bowl of dry rice for a week or so. it helps pull out the moisture.

I did this to an old BB Pearl. Stop trying to turn it on! Put it in some plain uncooked rice for about a week. One week later take it out and plug it straight in and see if it just needs a new battery. That's all my BB required... The water shorted the battery, but when plugged in, it ran fine... Give it a try.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
Hi guys, need urgent help my iPhone was in my jeans pocket which then went in the washing machine. It is now dead :( and I don't know what to do!

I am on an o2 contract and bought it in the apple store. Will there be a guarantee with it? Or will I have to buy a brand new iPhone?

Please can someone help me :eek:

Thanks,
Guy

btw this is my 1st post :)

clinton_laughing.jpg

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
Actually, I think you rather enjoyed flaming him. You seem like an angry person to feel the need to come onto forums and insult people. Who cares that he missed the other 20 threads? There are people on these forums who enjoy answering the same questions and like to be helpful. You seem to be motivated in the opposite direction.

Not angry at all. Just not willing to pay for the OP's mistake. Click the little arrow next to my name and you'll see that I don't insult people. Thank you Dr Freud for your analysis of my psyche. I went back and looked at all of my posts and you were right....99.9% of my posts were helpful and motivated to help. Like you I am entitled to my opinion, unlike you I don't tell people what their opinion should be or what their motivations are. I was very confused about mine. Thanks for clearing it up. I don't know what I would do without you!:D

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Don't throw it out yet. Let it dry out completely ( a couple of days) and if you are lucky it might start working again. I've heard others doing this and it has worked for them.

Put it in front of a fan or something and let it dry out. Good luck.

I had an old Sprint phone that went through the wash (while powered on) and survived!! It took almost a week to dry out though.

cassini

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
iphone went in the washer! helpp

stupid as it sounds i also put my new iphone in the washer!
it was onli in for less thn ten mins as i was hurryin about and realised cancelled it and took it out it had a rubber cover on the phone an all is workin fine apart from it wont come of silent !
so i cant hear if i am bein called or text,
will this be able to be fixed ?!
touch woood this is al that has hapend to the phone
i no i cant get a new one as inside the headphone piece has gone red which i no means water damage any helpful tipss please :)

JennaLDS

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
Utah!
Sorry, warranties don't typically include any sort of idiot clause. It buy a new one or get a different phone.

It will forever amaze me that the first few comments to a post are extremely rude.

I have a friend that dropped hers into a bathtub with suds before she took a bubble bath, and anyway she did the rice thing, and it kinds glitches every now and then but for the most part it works, and it will tide her over until she can upgrade next year. :)

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
it was onli in for less thn ten mins as i was hurryin about and realised cancelled it and took it out it had a rubber cover on the phone an all is workin fine apart from it wont come of silent !
i no i cant get a new one as inside the headphone piece has gone red which i no means water damage any helpful tipss please :)

Wow, just wow. Was your post created by typing on your iPhone while it was still wet? I mean, I'm not a grammar nazi by any stretch of the imagination, but it must take a lot of practice to be able to type that badly. Sorry to hear about your phone, but now I have a headache from reading your post.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
This sounds stupid but Ive heard of this working. Put it in a bag of white rice. Shake the bag with the phone in it. It will absorb any and all moisture like rice does. Leave it for a few days and take it out, wipe the rice dust off, and give it a try. Worst that can happen is you stay at square one.

~edit~ Beat to it.

Just a quick FYI for anybody looking here for solutions: DO NOT shake the bag/container unless your phone is wrapped in something. Getting rice into an open port can cause you more problems.

Translation:

"As stupid as it sounds I also put my new iPhone in the washer! It was only in there for less than ten minutes. As I was hurrying about I realized it, cancelled the cycle and took it out. The phone had a rubber cover on. Everything is working fine apart from it not coming off silent so I can't hear any alerts if someone is calling or texting me.

Can this be fixed? I really hope this is all that happened to the phone. I know I can't get a new one as the moisture sensor in the headphone jack has gone red which I know means water damage.

Can anyone offer any helpful tips please?"

My good deed for the day. ;)

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
well, now that you have had this for quite a while now, its probably dry, but i can help u get it fixed. completely dry it, put it in rice, use a fan, use a hair drier whatever until u know its completely dry. then take a TINY, tiny piece of a tissue, or u can use toilet paper, make it into a square just about the size of the head phone jack, rest it on top of the jack, and plug the head phones in with that in there. now make sure to get it UNDER the brass clips that connect the headphone. now what apple does is take a quick look at the jack, and then says what to do. they will probably diagnose it as a battery failure, and will give u a refurb. good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.