Help! iPhone's vibrate dying!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbwinkle, Jul 25, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I have a first gen iPhone and lately the vibrate has been going in and out on it. For example, it will be just as good as a new iPhone but 2 minutes later the vibrate may be completely dull and useless. Would this be replaceable under applecare? I bought the phone/applecare in February. To add to the problem, the back has some normal wear and tear on it but I dropped it once in April and the corner just got scratched up. Will Apple say the drop damaged the vibrate? :(

Thanks.

2. thread starter macrumors member

3. macrumors 65816

All I can say is I have a similar problem, except the vibrate motor on my iPhone cuts out completely. Since I bought it last June, I'm beyond my warranty. I would call Applecare / go to a local Apple store and ask them about a replacement.

4. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

The vibrate going should be covered under Applecare. As for whether they'll claim abuse, it depends on how much visible damage there is.

It shouldn't be too big a deal for them to fix the vibrate function though. On most phones, it's merely a flywheel that's heavily weighted to it's extremely out of balance. When a motor attached to it turns on, the flywheel spins and the out-of-balance weight is thrown about, causing the vibration.

5. macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my first gen iPhone where the vibrate would sometimes be good as new and other times I could barely feel it vibrating. The first time I brought it into the genius bar they restored it :confused: and said "if it keeps happening, bring it back and we will give you a replacement.... Well, guess what!!! IT WAS STILL HAPPEINING!! I was back at the genius bar the next day with the same genius helping me. MY IPHONE WAS ONCE AGAIN RESTORED AND I WAS SENT HOME WITH NO NEW REPLACEMENT!:mad: :mad:
    :mad:

When I got back home from the apple store that day I hopped on my MacBook and listed my iPhone on eBay :D now I have a 3g:cool:

6. macrumors newbie

Vibrate dying?

Well, here is the deal.

I just recently had my iPhone replaced for the third time during my warranty period. This third phone is just as messed up as the others, except now it presents a new problem. The vibrate seems to die... it just isn't strong. Until that is... I go into the settings and discover the sound level has turned itself down. Odd right? It goes to about 3/4 the full level. As soon as I turn that level back up, then put the phone back onto vibrate, everything is perfect again. It is really stupid.

Here you go. Try it. Good luck.

:apple:Jeni:apple:

7. macrumors 6502

definetly get it fixed by applecare either call or make a reservation at the genius bar