help iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blackberry44, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Blackberry44 macrumors newbie

Blackberry44

One day my iPhoto stopped working, it launches and opens up, but it has none of my photos in it anymore. All my albums were there but they were empty. All my pictures were in the HD in the iPhoto folder. I never moved them or renamed them. When I try to import them, I get this error message.

"Unreadable Files: The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data)"

I have plenty of availble memory. When I try to put in new pictures, I get the same message. I reinstalled iPhot, but that didn't help. I reinstalled all of OSX using the restore disk that came with the computer, but that didn't help either.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use Disk Utility to verify the disk your Library is on. Sounds like it might have some "issues".

3. Blackberry44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blackberry44

Thanks for the quick answer and help.
    How do I use/find Disk Utility???:confused:

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can also try rebuilding the iPhoto library by holding down the "command"+"option" keys when starting up iPhoto.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Disk Utility is /Applications/Utilities

Once it started select the disk with the iPhoto Library and select Verify Disk from the First Aid tab. Note you need a recent version of OSX (10.4.3 iirc) to do this to your boot disk without restarting from the install CD/DVD.

6. Blackberry44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blackberry44

Thanks! I tried Control/options but that didn't do anything. I found disk Utility, but I couldn't figure out how to use it.
    I'm running on OSX 10.2.8
    I have a PowerPG G4.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's because it's COMMAND(apple key)+option. Then you should see this start up screen:

Edit: If you're running iPhoto 4, then the keyboard shortcut is "shift"+"option". Failing all that, this article might help.

Attached Files:

8. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Re-import the photos. The original images should still be in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think there are two different problems being remedied here. One is working out if your disk is failing and the other is trying to fix iPhoto directly. If iPhoto is the only app that's causing you grief then I'm not sure it'll be a disk problem but I guess it's worth a try checking for it all the same.

You cannot verify the disk from the boot up drive in anything but the very latest version of Tiger (10.4.3) but the workaround is to start up with the system CDs in the drive (Jaguar) and holding down C. From there, you can select get to Disk Utility from one of the menus (I forget which) and both Verify and/or Repair it from there. Make sure it's the disk you repair, not the disk permissions. :)

10. Blackberry44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blackberry44

I got them back. The Shrit + Option to rebuilt it. That worked! They are all there, no I just need to reorganize my folders! Thanks for you help.

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle