HELP! iPod dead...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Thirteenva, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I have a 14 month old 3rd gen iPod. I usually use it daily but have not used it for about 3 - 4 weeks.

I took it out of my laptop bag this weekend and it would not boot. The screen is blank. Nothing happens. I plugged it into the computer thinking the battery may be drained and still nothing.

I sat it in its dock to charge for 10 minutes and then tried to boot it. Still nothing. No apple icon, no sign of life at all.

What should i do. It's currently out of warranty. Any ideas? The apple support docs say to reset it but this does not appear to work because the ipod is completely dead.

Help is much appreciated, thanks.

Oh and i've tried toggling the 'hold' button, nothing happens.

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Dock it for a while, then put your ear up to the back and hit some buttons. Do you hear the normal high-pitched noise, or the drive spinning up?

3. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Charge up your ipod as much as possible. Reset the iPod by pressing the menu and play/stop keys at once for a few seconds.
    If doesn't seem to still work, try putting your ipod into disk mode to connect to your computer. You can do this by pressing the forward and backward buttons at once until the firewire symbol pops up (after you reset the ipod). Then connect it your computer and used the ipod software updater to restore your ipod. (This step revived my 2nd gen. iPod.)
    If the drive keeps on spinning after you try to turn it on, maybe your ipod hard drive is busted.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

This has happened to me with my iPod mini and my dad's 20 GB iPod.

Try charging it via the AC adapter (that usually works) and if that fails resetting it (hold down the menu and select buttons for 5 seconds). One of those two methods should work. I doubt your iPod is broken just because it hasn't been used to 3-4 weeks. I have left my iPod idle for longer than that and it's perfectly fine.

5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Take it to an Apple Store asap. I dropped my iPod last week, they reset it. It's been working fine so far.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They did what posters 3 and 4 told him to do. No need to take it to Apple at this point.

Thirteenva, this doesn't sound like a serious problem. If you follow the advice already given I'm sure your iPod will spring back to life.

7. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Docked it for ten minutes with the power plugged in. I still get nothing. I'm not hearing a drive noise and holding down the menu/play button to reset it seems to have no affect.

My powerbook does not recognize it at all when plugged in. It does not show up as a mounted disk or in iTunes.

Any other suggestions?

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Maybe you can take it to an Apple Store now. Really, you've got nothing to lose.

9. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem with that is the apple store is over an hour away and my iPod is out of warranty. So I'd like to solve the issue myself if i could.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Have you plugged it into the wall charger yet, or just the computer? I'd next suggest doing that, and giving it a good long time--plug it in and watch a movie or something.

11. noel4r macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter if it's out of warranty, the people at the Genius Bar will still help you. Too bad it's an hour away, maybe you can drive there as a last result. You can also check out http://www.ipodresq.com

Good Luck

12. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

I left the ipod plugged in for an hour. It is blazing hot. I tried resetting by holding play and menu buttons, did this three times for ten seconds each. Does not do anything. Ipod will not boot, I have a blank screen.

13. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another update. When i put my ear up to it i hear a high pitched whistle followed by a tick tick tick tick while pressing the menu/play button to reset.

When i pressed the forward and back buttons simultaneously i heard a tick tick and hten it stopped. Did not mount the disk on the desktop.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Try charging the iPod through the wall power for 3 hours, unplug it, and leave it unplugged for 24 hours.

EDIT: Uh-oh... sounds like hardware damage that my above suggestion won't fix.

15. wide macrumors 6502a

NOT menu & play

I said menu and select. That's what worked for me. Ask for the clicking thing....no clue what that is.

But try menu and select. iPods don't just break from being left alone for a couple weeks.

16. akboarder24 macrumors member

that "tick...tick...tick" is the hard drive reader moving, but not reading the drive. it probably got bumped pretty hard, and the arm/magnet is not working properly. my 10gb 2g drive failed just like that. took it apart and everything, still couldn't get the magnet/arm mechanism working again.

17. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

18. fr0 macrumors member

ipodresq not such a good deal

My brother just used ipodresq and it did not seem to be a good deal. He was forced to pay for overnight shipping and with a replacement hard drive (his was toasted from a one foot drop) it ended up costing him about $200 to get it repaired. That seems too close to a new 4G for my liking. If you choose not to get it repaired they will give you some cash (I think $75, but double check) for parts which makes the 4G even more attractive. Of course this is all assuming that you have 200-300 bucks lying around. Good luck!

fr0

19. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Sounds bad. iPods shouldn't die from just sitting, but maybe something happened while it was in the bag? I haven't heard of "nothing" happening before. No display, no lights, no nothing. The sounds you described sound like broken hard drive type noises. Still, I don't know why you don't get a display.

You might want to try a slightly more specialized forum like ipodlounge.com.

Did you need to go to the Apple Store or surrouding area for anything? The Genius Bar can make the final determination if it's dead or not.

20. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's odd. It's been in my computer bag with my laptop. I'm not sure what the heck could have gone wrong. I'll have to try to get to the apple store and see what's wrong.

I may also try ipod lounge. Thank you for your help.

21. Thirteenva thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was not able to get the ipod working :(

I'm trying to get the ipod open now, so i can disconnect and reconnect the battery but I'm having trouble opening the case.

I read to stick a small screwdriver in there and pry it open but i'm unsuccessful. I have a tiny screw driver but I'm not able to pry it open. I'm using the instructions found at 'ipodbattery.com'