HELP! IPOD is connected, on desktop, but won't show up on Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmacatac2002, Jul 17, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I've looked all over for some help, and found nothing!

My Ipod says connected, and the ipod image is on the desktop, its connected to the desktop. . . but when I go to Itunes there is nothing there.

- I've updated to 7.7
    - Restarted my computer a BILLION times
    - Ejected and Rejected the Ipod
    - Went to Disk Utilities, its there
    and yet nothing in itunes that relates to my ipod

The Ipod was working last night, I properly ejected it, and when I woke up this morning plugged it into my COMPUTER, and it connected, on the desktop but nothing in ITUNES.

I've received no messages saying somethings wrong or nothing. . . I really need help!

I don't want to reset my Ipod or lose my songs because of something as crazy as this. . . I have 4,500 songs, it would take forever. . .

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Quit and relaunch iTunes. This has solved iPod/iTunes connectivity issues for me.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I've done that too a billion times too

But now, my entire Ipod won't play any music. . . I ejected it, put in my headphones, pressed play and my songs just won't play

4. thread starter macrumors member

This has never happened. . . I was playing it an hour ago, now it won't work, this is completely new????

What's wrong, how can this happen, is it even possible???

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

What kind of iPod do you have? I'd try restarting your iPod - instructions to do that are here (choose your iPod model first).

6. thread starter macrumors member

A Classic, I forgot how many gigs, but I know its a lot I paid like $300 for it. So whichever one comes with the most gigs. I brought it in the SPRING

7. thread starter macrumors member

How to reset again?

8. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Here's the link you need - it's the first tab on that page, called Reset.

9. thread starter macrumors member

I've reset it and still get nothing, this is so weird

10. macrumors newbie

I had something like this happen to me a few years ago with my 4g click wheel ipod. It turns out the hard drive was damaged because I threw my book bag and forgot my ipod was in it. :eek: My ipod would freeze up and take a long time to change songs. I would take over a minute sometimes just to change songs. At one point it stopped playing songs altogether and I took it to the apple store and it was replaced doe to a bad hard disk. This probably won't help you, but it kind of sounds like a damaged hard drive imo. Call Apple, they know more about it.

11. thread starter macrumors member

What's the number?

12. thread starter macrumors member

Now, my Ipod had dropped earlier that night, but I have the protective shell/cover around it, plus I picked it up and kept listening to music. . . continued to listen to it that night, got up in the early morning and listened to it. . . I don't know if the falling had anything to do with it, but it did, since the effects were immediate.

Plus: Its not skipping tracks like I heard from others, the wheel is very responsive, I'm able to see everything, it works like a regular Ipod except when I click on a song, it goes to the now playing menu like usual and just sits there, at zero, I hit play again, nothing, I try moving the song to the middle, it moves and still plays nothing. . .

13. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    want me to make the call too?:rolleyes:

14. thread starter macrumors member

I fixed my ipod and heres how, for those who may counter this same problem:

1.) I have an extra laptop in my house/room, its a PC. . .

2.) I connected my Ipod to my PC, and it came up automatically and said that I needed to download an update to my Ipod, and I agreed to download the update.

3.) Then I updated my Itunes on the PC, because I rarely use it to play my Ipod

4.) And it worked. . . plugged it back into my Mac, restarted my computer and it worked.

I guess my Ipod (the actual MP3 player) needed an update transfered into it. . . I don't understand why the Mac didn't detect that, but oh well...