Help: iPod Photo back to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TechnoPagan, Feb 13, 2006.

1. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

My laptop hard drive crashed taking with it pretty much everything. I've figured out how to bring my music back from my iPod to iTunes, but is there a way to take the pictures from the iPod back to iPhoto?

I have a 60g iPod Photo, just over 10 months old, on version 1.2 of the software and with approximately 2200 pictures.

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting a new laptop, but I don't want to be afraid everytime I plug in the iPod (which is on manual update) I'll accidentally erase the only copies of the last three years of pictures.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you check the box to transfer "Full Resolution Photos" to the iPod? If not all it transfered were the tuny thumbnail sized ones for use on the iPod. If you did then just mount the iPod in disk mode and all your pictures will be on there in an iPhoto style directory structure.

3. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

If you do plug in your iPod, make sure that iTunes is NOT set to auto update the iPod, as this will wipe out all of your pictures.

I learned this the hard way, when I came back from Europe at the end of last summer. Pissed me off to no end, as there really should be some warning when iTunes detects that you do indeed have other things on your iPod other than music. :mad:

4. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I had checked the box to update with full resolution, but I'm not seeing a folder with anything more than a few thumbnails.

Do the settings/preferences on the iPod stick even when I attach it to a new computer--would I be able to check which settings I had made when it was docked to the non-defunct laptop when I attahc it to the desktop?

And how can I continue to add photos to the iPod (from the new computer's iPhoto) without wiping out the ones that are already on the iPod?

5. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Just in case this ever happens to someone else

I don't know who Keith is, but if I ever find out, I might have to propose marriage.

This seems to be working--I've been able to restore huge chunks of my iPhoto library using the .thmbs

One less thing to mourn