Help - Is my iBook G3 dead?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Phil_S, May 22, 2006.

1. Phil_S macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003
    Hi all,

I'm having a major problem with my old iBook G3 and wanted to get some advice before I get the credit card out and give in to the temptation of a shiny new MacBook...

Basically, last night I left the iBook downloading a few bits and pieces. This morning when I went to check on it it was making some pretty nasty grinding noises and I was unable to shut the machine down using normal means so I just turned the power off. I then tried powering on again and not a lot happened - just more grinding, so I powered down again.

I left the iBook to cool down for a half hour or so in case it was a fan issue and tried powering on again. This time, no grinding... more of a humming / buzzing sound. Again, not a lot happened except for a grey screen with a folder icon with a question mark alternating with the Mac "smiley face" logo.

Any ideas? Have I got a shiny white paperweight now?

Cheers in advance...
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Can you start up from the OS restore discs that came with the iBook? :)
  3. Phil_S thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003
    I have to admit that I haven't tried that yet - I'll give it a go when I get in from work! I'm still a bit worried by the grinding though... :eek:
  4. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Sounds like your harddrive's died. Should be quite cheap to replace, although I'm sure you just want people to tell you that you need to get the credit card out for a new MB! :D
  5. Phil_S thread starter macrumors newbie

May 20, 2003
  6. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Put that shovel away. The only noisy things in your computer are the power supply and the hard drive, and both can be replaced.
  7. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Run your hardware test disc first, then try te repair the disc using the install discs. Good luck, your drive is likely toast, but it might be salvageable (weird stuff happens)...