Help -- is this a Scam??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MBHockey, Mar 11, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I got a good offer for my C2D iMac from Craigslist. Should i be weary of this? Does it sound fishy?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm thinking yes...just a gut feeling I have.

3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Offering more than you asked for is always a sign of a possible scam - it's to appeal to your greed and cloud your judgement.

Ignore this offer.

4. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

why would he want to pay YOU 3k? when he can get a BRAND NEW one for under 2k. Even a 24 inch with some upgrades comes in around or under 3k...

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

to be fair, i told him i wanted, lowest 2500 (initially). Then, I told him i had 4 other people interested (which is true).

I've decided not to do anything with BidPay. If he wants to PayPal me 3000, then that's fine. We'll see what he says.

Also, this iMac is fully upped -- not the stock 24".

He could get it from Apple for about 3150.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

8. Stadsport macrumors regular

It's a scam. He's going to send you a fake payment (through an alternate email that looks like a BidPay email), or one with someone elses account, and when that falls through, you're held responsible for the money--not him.
    The buyer's also almost certainly going to ask you to ship it to nigeria or some other country way outside of your local craigslist board.
    Offering a really high amount is a pretty common practice scammers like this use, as it encourages you to just say "hell yeah!" and have a lot of patience when it comes to not getting your money.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

10. kdub420 macrumors newbie

Sounds to the word (specially the part bought him providing shipping and you canceling ad) like a scam that was tried on ebay to get my sons PSP. Traced the full http,contacted ebay and paypal-guy even spoofed the paypal site and confer letter
    RUN AWAY!!!!!!!! Better safe than sorry.
    ken

11. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks everyone. I agree.

I told him if he wants it, to paypal me 3100 dollars. ;)

He hasn't responded.

Maybe i should mess around with this guy, since he likes scamming people. not sure how

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

How is it that in this day and age people still fall for this crap? David Hannum was right... :cool:

13. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

that powerbook scam was legendary. i could never repeat such a great act.

Shard, i didn't do it, i was just asking because i thought it was odd! :p

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I wasn't implying that you did, I was just speaking in general - apologies for any confusion. ;) :cool:

15. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wow...I just read the whole thing, and that Senator one linked to at the end...BRILLIANT...

17. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

It is a scam, my roommate got a very similar sounding email with almost the same instructions when he sold his XBOX360 on ebay... The guy offered an outrageous amount of money.

SCAM! :eek:

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is a classic scam letter.

Be wary anytime a 'buyer' supplies too much detail about how the sale is totally risk free for you. Also, the 'prepaid FedEx shipping label' is a hallmark of these scams, one way or another it's engineered so you cannot get back the shipment or trace where it went. It also means you don't have a real address to check out.

Paying above asking price is also classic scam. As is 'sending you a certified cheque from another company', which will be a forged or altered cheque that will bounce back on you 2 to 5 weeks later. Double ditto if the cheque is more than the sale amount and they want you to send them the 'change'.

Don't tempt fate by proposing PayPal or in some other way trying to game the scammer. Could be they have a stolen PayPal account ready to go and you will end up just as %$*@#ed.

On craigslist; just trash any responses you get from outside your local area. What is a legitimate buyer doing trolling a local classified 3000 miles away?
    Insist on face-to-face on any Craigslist transaction.

19. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

If you're bored you can send him a P-P-P imac. I think it would be great. Make sure to make the shipping COD. I love messing with these people. Make sure to converse with him in the same broken english he will probably write to you in when he emails you when you bite. If everyone just starts to answer these bastards and messes with them, it won't be worth their trouble and they will quit tricking your parents!!!:D