Help! ISight webcam

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by morgansh, Dec 13, 2003.

1. morgansh macrumors newbie

I have an isight and downloaded QTbroadcast. I am trying to set up a webcam for viewing by more than user. I have a web domain for the ftp. I tried stripcam as a streaming server and it didnt work. What do I need to do? I am a moron so as descriptive an explanation as you are willing to give would be great. Thanks in advance

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have ichat but i dont want to videoconference , i would like to set up a permanent web cam.

4. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. thanks. using evo cam i was able to upload to an ftp sightand view a snapshot in my browser and in a quicktime player. how do i get the image to stream.? right now its a single frozen image. the image changes if i refresh but wont play in quicktime as a streaming video.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if i remember right quicktime broadcaster can only support 1 stream cause its free. i believe quicktime streaming server is the pro app that comes with mac os x server that allows you too do more than one.

iJon

6. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

i found QTserver really convoluted. I assumed there must be an easier way to set up a simple streaming webcam.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

qtbroadcast is pretty complicated, but i found it really easy following instructions in help.

iJon

8. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

broadcast wont do what i want to do though. I do not want to video conference. I want to set up a 24 hour web cam accessible from my web site.

9. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What's your server situation like? ISP? Your own machine?

You'll need a streaming video server in order to serve streaming video. Crazy, I know.

If you're running off your own machine, you can install and set-up Apple's open-source Darwin Streaming Server to serve the video.

11. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running it off my laptop through a wireless connection. I downloaded darwin but there are 71 files in the download. I dont even know where to start! I can't believe that this is such a difficult thing to do. ugh!

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

13. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There is a source code download, and links for pre-compiled binaries for different OSes. Which are you downloading?

15. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

16. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

17. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

PLEASE!!! Smart people unite and help me with this problem!!!!

18. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured i would ask one more time.anyone know how to set up a webcam for more than one user to see. i want it up all day on my ftp site for anyone to check out,

19. tj2001 macrumors regular

I'm currently at work, but when I get home I could assist you with setting up Evocam to "stream" to a website. Not quite sure what you mean when you say FTP?? Just let me know if you want to set it up via web site style :)

20. morgansh thread starter macrumors newbie

21. tj2001 macrumors regular

My iChat SN is TJKingofSex and you can message me if you want to... that way it will be easier :)

22. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

23. tj2001 macrumors regular

:p It was picked fast I'm going to change it one day to something a little more creative :p

24. Jaded macrumors newbie

How about something a little more REALISTIC? :D