Help! iTunes is really aggravating me...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bastetbabe27, Dec 1, 2006.

1. bastetbabe27 macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    I just got a brand new MBP, and transferred all my files from my old Dell laptop successfully, as far as I can tell.

However, when I imported my music into iTunes, there's something funny happening with a couple of albums. Despite the fact that the tracks are all listed as coming from the same album, iTunes lists them as separate albums with one track each, right after another, because they're different artists. How do I get them to consolidate into a single album?

The info says that they're from the same album, so i don't know what to do to get them to file neatly into a group.

Any suggestions?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Which of the 3 views are you using. If you use the middle one it separates it by artist. If you use the left one and sort by album then they appear by album.

That is one thing about itunes is that there is no real good way to sort compilations and soundtracks. If you use cover flow, the right selection and sort by album they will appear that way. Of course that sorts alphabetically by album and therefore separates all albums by the same artist.

Ideally what would be great is if iTunes kept all artist together in artist sort so that their albums were together but somehow kept comps and soundtracks together, recognizing them as such. I don't that feature is there yet.

As a solution you could rename the artist for those albums various artists or the name of the album and then rename each track as track name - artist name.
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    There is a group compilations when browsing in the iTunes preferences.

You need to have the drop down in the get info screen say yes to compilation. If it isn't, sort by album, shift select whole album, get info and check the box and drop down to yes. Lower left corner.

Again it will still separate them in artist sort, but will group by album or if you use the browser view, there is an artist then called compilations.
  4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Setting as a compilation works, but then you lose the ability to find the album on your iPod by artist, you have to remember you set it as a compilation.

There's a new field in iTunes 7 called 'Album Artist' which theoretically should prevent you from having set these sorts of albums as compilations. However, it doesn't seem to be implemented very well in iTunes, and doesn't do anything on the iPod either. It's a pain when you have an album with a ton of guests, and so it shows up many times when browsing by artist on your iPod. It's not the end of the world, but just a bit messy.

There should be an option in iTunes and iPod to browse by 'Album Artist' instead of 'Artist'. I wouldn't be surprised if that is coming, I guess the first step was just to add the tag to iTunes.
  5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    To do it, select all the songs that belong together, bring up the Get Info box (Command+I), and set Compilation tag to YES. Make sure at this point also that the album name is exact for each of the song entries, you can fill it out in the Album tag.

In Album Artist tag, I fill in Various Artists.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo
  6. Erasmus® macrumors member

Oct 30, 2006

Hi Guys! I'm afraid I really need some help from you. I own an iPod nano first generation, but since they released the last version of iTunes I'm not able to insert songs in it anymore. I would like to manage all he lists by my own but it doesn't work. Whenever I try doing something it says "updating iPod" for a few seconds but then it stops and nothing has changed into my player.
    Can anyone suggest me the right way please?