HELP !! iTunes not responding

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by karenb2, Jul 15, 2006.

1. karenb2 macrumors newbie

karenb2

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I went into iTunes today and on opening I got the message that there was a newer version available and would I like to upgrade. I clicked 'yes' and upgraded. Since then I have had awful problems with my computer.

I have been trying to import CD's into my library. I get to the very last track on the album and as it hits '1 sec' to go of the track my computer freezes. The iTunes program fails to respond and my computer crashes. Sometimes it restarts itself and sometimes I have to turn it off because nothing will respond.

Has anyone else had these problems? Its driving me mad. I get to the very last track and it just stops. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this problem? My anti-virus software is up to date and has not found any viruses or problems. Something is obviously wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Perhaps that final song is corrupt. Try removing it from the list of songs you sync with your iPod (maybe uncheck it or something) and see if that helps. :)

3. karenb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

karenb2

Hi Mad Jew,

The last song cant be corrupt because I am just importing from CD's. I have tried several different CD's and am getting exactly the same problem. I havent even begun to transfer my uploaded songs to my ipod yet.:confused:

I have restored my computer to an earlier date but then cant open itunes because it gives me an error message that parts of itunes are missing and to re-install. I have re-installed itunes 3 times but I am still getting the same problem with itunes locking up.:mad:

Anyone out there ????? Please help !!!!!:)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you're on Windows.

Here's what I would try (you'll need plenty of disk space):

Uninstall iTunes, backup your Library and move it out of the way (rename the whole folder), delete the iTunes folder in Program Files, and delete the registry keys that correspond to iTunes.

Reboot. Now download install iTunes 6.0.5 from scratch.

Start iTunes without putting your library back in place, then try and add the files from your old library back to the new one.

B

5. karenb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

karenb2

Thanks Balamw,

Yes, you are right, I am working with Windows XP. I will try what you suggest and see if that helps. (being a dummy - how do I delete the registry keys relating to itunes)

I havent had a problem before so not sure whats caused it.

I am trying to upload a few CD's before I go away on my holidays and feel time is running out !! :(

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The registry is the absolute worst aspect of Windows, and is most likely the source of your problems. Most install/uninstall problems arise here.

Hit the start button, run, type regedit, and search for itunes. When you find the appropriate entry. Hit delete. I'll try to post screenshots later when I'm on a Windows PC.

B