help: itunes & smb file sharing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JPatrick421, Dec 17, 2003.

1. JPatrick421 macrumors newbie

Using 10.2.8, I'm having reoccurring problems sharing via smb: with Windows 2000 Server. The first problem I'm running into is this: Massive amounts of music end up missing with the (!) in front of the song name, however all 13.5 Gigs remain in the folders that itunes assigned on the server which rarely gets disconnected. So I'm constantly getting this message: The song “ " could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? So at times all the music has the (!) in front of the song names, but the songs that give me that message are completely random. Sometimes itunes can locate the file without manually locating.

Another problem that seems to come and go is this: When dropping multiple folders of music to the designated shared drive I get this message: The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (Error Code - 120)

Has anyone run into similar problems? A group of us at work decided to group all of our music to save disk space on individual machines. (PC's with 2000 Pro & XP and Macs with 10.2.8) I have had no problems with a similar setup at home connecting 10.3.1 to a shared folder on an XP equipped PC. I'm stumped.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Re: help: itunes & smb file sharing

I had this same prob from X 10.2.8 to XP and found it only happened when I tried to copy files with spaces leading the filename. I also thought it may have been related to the amount of songs (filesizewise, at first I tried all 7GB) I was transferring to the network share, so I limited it to 500MB a pop.

A better question is why not share your music through iTunes? I know you were concerned about space locally, but this would seem to be a better option than sharing a network drive.

3. JPatrick421 thread starter macrumors newbie

KingJR3

I appreciate your response. The remark about spaces leading the file name solves one of my problems.

As for the question about why not use itunes to share instead of a shared drive on the network server. That's a good one. IM not the administrator, so I can't go and load itunes onto that particular drive on the server. However, that's another valid point and I will bring it to admin attention.

Thanks, JP421