Help! I've been playing backup roulette

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oyanine, Mar 19, 2006.

1. oyanine macrumors newbie

Basically I have been totally careless in backing up my files. I have three macs (iMac desktop runs on Panther; 1st gen powerbook G4 on panther; 6 month old 12" G4 on Tiger). I want to correct this situation by consolidating and then backing up all files. Plus get rid of the oldest laptop.

MY PROBLEM: I KNOW this is ridiculous. Basically I saved my desktop documents in a big folder on the external hard drive and on the older laptop without sorting through them. But I haven't been backing them up regularly and now nothing is in sync. I am a researcher/writer, so I compile and save lots of documents (mostly word files & PDFs) on diferent topics over the course of years. I am not a techie, so I'm having trouble understanding the differences between the backup software options out there. And yes, I will start using idisk.

MY QUESTIONS: What's the most efficient way to sort through and make sure I have the most recent copy of every document on two computers as well as on an external hard drive? I noticed that when I try to move multiple folders at once, the new laptop will not notify me that there are older/newer versions of individual files. What's a good backup software for someone who has over 50GB of info? I'm ready to take the time needed to do all of this, but if there is software that will help make it more efficient, I'd love to know about it.

sorry for the long message. I'll wait for the well deserved spitballs:rolleyes:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The first name that always comes to me when I hear backing up is Retrospect. Although I have never used the software it is quite popular.

Otherwise on your backing up drive you can tell when the files were put there by using your 'View Options' (view menu in Finder cmd-J) and sorting your windows by date created/modified. This will tell you when the file was placed there. And you can sort it by hand.