Help!! I've set my desktop size bigger than my screen!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Effortless, Nov 3, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi folks,

I hope some of you can help.

I have somehow managed to set my desktop size as bigger than my screen size, and I don't know how to reset it!

The problem seems to be that the desktop is magnified by about 10%, so it no longer fits on to the screen. I have to use a single finger on the trackpad to move around to get the edges of the desktop in view. I have tried resetting the screen size to its maximum of 1440x900, but this doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can revert it back to normal? I'm sure it's something very simple, but if you don't know, you don't know!! And I can't find anything in the documentation.

Many thanks,
    Effortless.

2. macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Is it possible you're just zoomed in? My wife thought she had somehow set the desktop size bigger than the screen then when I saw it I just noticed she had zoomed in. Zoomed out and it was all fixed.

3. macrumors 65816

Sounds like you've zoomed in to me. To zoom out, press control, and scroll down. You can use a mouse scroll or two-finger scroll (if that's on)

4. thread starter macrumors member

Sorted!!

Thanks for the quick replies.... all sorted!!

I didn't know OS X had this feature... great fun to play with!!

Thanks again for your help.

Effortless

5. macrumors 68030

Another fun thing is simultaneously holding down ctrl+alt (option)+CMD and then pres "8". Do it again to reverse it.

6. macrumors 65816

Another effect is holding down shift when you say, open dashboard, or do expose, or show desktop, or open a stack, or anything like that.

7. macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I didn't know about that one, learn something new everyday

8. macrumors regular

Wow slomo really neat

9. macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs actually showed that to the worldwide public during Leopard's launch

10. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thats really old though, goes back at least to the OS 7.5 days. You could open files, launch programs,ask the comuter the time/date or to tell you a joke and it would.

11. macrumors 65816

Errm... are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the slomo trick, which I believe was only introduced in Mac OS X. the press shift to slomo. Or you could go to terminal and type say [whatever]. It'll read what you put in whatever.

12. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Sorry, thought it was regarding voice commands to do functions like opening programs etc, my mistake.