Help.. Just a quick question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slattery1988, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Slattery1988 macrumors newbie

Ok I have just finally switched to a mac so happy. I dont know them as well as I do windows. Anyways I got this used and it came with Mac OS 9.2 and it also came with Mac OS X. So I upgraded of course. But I noticed I dy ont see Appleworks. I thought all apple computers came with it. And I have done a search on the computer for appleworks but nothing came up. And I was looking through the ibook manual and it pointed out key features like iTunes, iCal and iChat. So I'm not sure why its not on the computer now.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Nope, they stopped giving it out a few years ago, but they haven't been updating it for even longer. I think Appleworks 6 was released like 5 years ago. You probably could pick it up from an online site for pretty cheap if you really want it, but you'd probably be better off saving your money for Office.

3. tykles macrumors member

Try NeoOffice

The final release of NeoOffice was just released for Mac. Basically it's a Mac interface for the OpenOffice.org project, an open source office app bundle that does almost everything MS Office does, almost as well. My understandingis that if you aren't a publishing pro, you won't know the difference in terms of features.

NeoOffice

4. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

One quirky thing about the AppleWorks installer, it only works with OS 9. AppleWorks runs great in OS X, however the AppleWorks installer only runs in Classic (or OS 9). So, if you choose to not install Classic, then you don't get AppleWorks. Meaning that if you don't have Classic (OS 9) on your Mac, then you probably don't have AppleWorks. If you do have Classic (OS 9), then the AppleWorks installer should be on one of the install discs and a selectable option within the OS X installer installation process.

There is a "work around" if you have an OS 9 (Classic) system or know someone that has an OS 9 (Classic) system.

5. Slattery1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I do have Mac OS 9. Might just get Office but will just have to find something til I get enough money.

6. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

as was noted above, NeoOffice is a great free office suite (it's a mac port of OpenOffice)

7. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Then just run the OS installer again from the CD, do a Custom install, and select AppleWorks.