Help! Just installed Tiger and can't get on the web via Safari- have to use Classic!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coop, Mar 7, 2006.

1. coop macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006

I just updated my OS system from 9.2 to 10.4.3 on my 45 MHz iMac G3 from 2000. This was previously my work computer which was replaced with an Intel iMac.

Everything went well, but I can't get on the internet via Tiger and Safari. I was able to run an old version of Explorer 5 that was on OS 9.2 so I know it is not a connection problem.

I get my internet service through my cable provider and have run the network assistant, but it does not seem to want to work. Any suggestions?

Also, I want to get rid of 9.2 if possible as this computer will primarily be used for web surfing and light work at home and only has 256 MB of memory. I did notice that the Filemaker 5 that I thought I would keep on incase I ever needed it opens in OS 9.2 , is there something I can do to make it work in OS X or is it to old?

I'd appreciate any suggestions about what has gone wrong with Safari. If I need to download anything, I guess I can use this Explorer program. Haven't used it in years

Thanks! :(
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    First update to 10.4.5 (use Software Update from the Apple menu). Next, check your network settings (System Preferences -> Network). I assume the new iMac can connect just fine?
  3. coop thread starter macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks Counterfit

I couldn't run the software update because the connection did not work, but for some reason once I was able to open explorer, the Safari connection worked. I was so frustrated last night that I gave up, but this morning it was working fine. I pay for the highest speed cable that I can at home, but I have to wonder if maybe it is a cable issue.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Sounds like it was your modem/router. I had the same problem but it stopped when i reset them and updated to 10.4.5.

5. emmawu macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Wauwatosa, WI
    To be on the safe side, you may want to close all your apps, repair permissions and reboot.
  6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Isn't it funny how sometimes if you just stop and go to bed...things work in the morning? It's happened to me many times...
  7. coop thread starter macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006

It's always easier in the morning... But my husband who has a Dell laptop was watching me install everything on my computer. I was trying to show off to him how easily it tied in to my .mac account, etc. My old work iMac is our first home computer (we're on a tight budget).

Not sure if you have a .mac account but I love mine (got a discount with my new work computer). It is so easy to take all those personal fiels that I put on my work computer over the years and put them on my Mac at home or leave them on .Mac. He was extremely impressed once I got it working :)

I've not had any problems since the initial load.