Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I keep all three browsers active but now matter which I use I have to periodically restart my G5 when I'm online. It just stops and the dreaded beach ball starts to spin and there doesn't seem to be and answer except a restart. Sometimes it does it when I'm trying to get Mail as well. If I leave my computer on for a long time during the day and try to get my mail or go online it ususally doesn't take long until I have to reboot in order to do very much. Any suggestions??????

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

what os are u running 10.4 or 10.x what ever if u can update it to see if that cures the problem very strange

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've had problems like this. when i've got Safari (in it's defence i do typically have 10+ tabs open) and Adium running with Mail as well strange slow-downs seem to happen. i think it's something to do with OS X's web stuff (is that called WebCore or WebKit or something? :confused: ).

but whenever Safari Beachballs for me i just leave it and 99% of the time it eventually unsticks itself. in fact if i quit Adium or Mail Safari will tend to unstick itself faster!

Firefox does also beachball and go really slow for me sometimes. i think it happens most after i've had a few days uptime and all my RAM is used... i suppose it's using VM. btw i have 1.5GB RAM. i guess PhotoShop is a killer. :eek:

how much RAM do you have?

and the next time it beachballs just try and leave it for a while and see if it unsticks. could take 5 minutes or more... just go on using other apps, that's what i do.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I'm running OS X 4.2 and keep it updated. This has been going on ever since I upgraded to Tiger. At first it wasn't really that often but lately it happens with more and more frequency. I haven't tried just leaving the ball spinning to see if it spins out. Not sure what this will solve since it will probably just do it again. Once I reboot it runs great for a while - sometimes the rest of the night.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
do you use RAM/memory intensive applications while you have Safari/Firefox open?

and when does it jam up? after you've just loaded a new page...??

if you see Safari jamming up just after you've interacted with it i think it's pretty safe to assume that it's just using Virtual Memory which would make things go really slow. in that case i would leave it and expect it to return to normal operation. but if it's randomly jamming up... that is strange.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
BLDun said:
I keep all three browsers active but now matter which I use I have to periodically restart my G5 when I'm online......
Why do you need to keep all those three browsers running? Aren't they RAM-intensive? Just curious ;)

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Good question. I'm not sure just when it keeps slowing up but I will try to make it a point to see. As I said I have yet to let it roll and see how long it takes to correct itself if it does. Where can I check to see how much ram I am using on each of the browsers???

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
BLDun said:
Good question. I'm not sure just when it keeps slowing up but I will try to make it a point to see. As I said I have yet to let it roll and see how long it takes to correct itself if it does. Where can I check to see how much ram I am using on each of the browsers???
Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

downgrade to 10.3.9 i have all the browsers u mention and use them at the same time and no problems here although i have 1gb of ram 1ghz ti book
i guess its tiger related thats why i am waiting before upgradeing !!!

sorry

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
OK help me out here. When I look at the activity monitor I get one reading for real memory and another for virtual memory which is significantly larger than the real memory. i.e. Camino - real memory 30.0 MB - virtual 340.27 MB. Can you explain how this works? And is there anything else I should be looking for here. I seem to have massive amounts of free space on the HD - 107 GB in fact so that shouldn't be a problem

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
You would think that having a G5 with dual 1.8 Mghz processors, 1 gig ram that memory shouldn't be a problem nor should processing speed. Truth is however, I have never seen all that much "blinding speed" by having the dual processors. It does allow me to do multiple activities without slowing down but simple things like sending data to the printer seems to me to be painfully slow for the power this machine is supossed to have.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The large virtual memory usage just means that information the browser was using, and might use again, is being cached in the VM file, from whence it can be retrieved more quickly than it can be reconstructed from its original sources. It isn't anything to worry about, especially given the specs of your system.

Your problem sounds more like either corrupt system files or bad hardware.... That should not be happening. :( Well, unless you were on 10.4.0. :eek: ;) :D But no, it shouldn't be happening.

Can you please boot off a system DVD and run the hardware check?

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Will do the boot from a system DVD soon as I get the chance. Anything I'm looking for on the hardware check???

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
OK! Doesn't seem to be my day. I have booted up from the Software install and restore DVD and held down the option key as well as the c key a number of times but the only thing I get in relation to a hardware test is the read me file. I get the option to restore the software and/or OSX but no option to run a hardware test. Doing something wrong???? To correct; I'm not holding down the two keys at the same time. One time I held down the option key and another time the c key and both times same result.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Would this have anything to do with the fact that I have a wireless keyboard?? I don't see how but not matter how many times I restart and hold down the option key I get no option to run a hardware test. I wouldn't think the keyboard would matter but something isn't right. I don't have access to a regular one right now but I can get one if you think that's it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you have a wireless keyboard, you must follow a different procedure to boot from the install disc. Boot normally, run system preferences, go to the startup disk pane, and insert the DVD in the drive. It should come up as an option in the list to start from. Click on it and select the restart button that's in the system preferences window. It should be pretty self-explanatory from there.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Boy was that a hoot!! I followed the directions for the reboot with a wireless keyboard and everything went OK until it reboote from the DVD. I window came up wanting to reintall the software. I was never given an option to run the hardware test. and then I found I didn't have and control because I have a wireless mouse and it wasn't functioning. So I did the old "hold down the power button" thing and it restarted but with telling it to it rebooted again from the DVD. So I had to shut it down again and do the paperclip routine to get the DVD out so I could restart from the HD. Beginning to look like I am not going to be able to run a hardware test.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Still need to know if anyone can help me with this. I have a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse and I need to run a hardware test. I put the DVD in when I open the system pref and startup pane and choose the DVD when it comes up. But when it restarts the only option I get is to reinstall OSX there is no option to run a hardware test. Any help???????

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
are you sure you're using the correct CD?

for my PowerBook - the hardware test is on the Software Restore CD. it should have something about the hardware test printed on the CD.

sounds to me like you're using the OS X Install CD...

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
On the left side of the DVD it says this:
POWER MAC G5 Software Install and Restore (Includes Apple Hardware Test). Should be the right one!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
your best bet would be to search the Support section of Apple's site. i haven't ever used the Hardware Test... but I think you have to select it from a menu after you've re-booted.

ps - i would have found the instructions from Apple's Support section but my internet is running really slow...
>.<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.