Help! Kernel panics are beating up my blueberry 'book for its lunch money!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Littleodie914, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hola, MacRumors amigos. I just bought a blueberry iBook from my grandfather, as he purchased one of the new 1GHz models and has no need for this one anymore. He gave it to me with OS 9.1 installed, but I wiped it and installed a fresh copy of 10.3. It has been working fine for 2 days now, but all of a sudden, it just kernel panics for no reason. Every couple hours or so, when I'm really not doing much (like this morning, I was just talking on iChat and browsing iTMS), the processor will all of a sudden begin to whir, like it's doing something important, then wham-o, it panics. I've also had a few problems with the computer going to sleep for no reason. (Even though the battery showed a strong 70%?) Should I wait this out and see what happens? Upgrade to 10.3.5? Wipe and re-install? Go back to OS 9? The options are listed from most preferable to least... Any advice would be much appreciated (as I was hoping to use this little bugger at school and what-not, since I'd be much less worried about it getting lost or stolen than I would my other book.) Thanks!

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

3. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm

Nope, I downloaded the firmware updater and tried to run it, but it said that it was already updated to 4.1.7, so it's up-to-date. Any other ideas? :confused:

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My first response would be about updating the firmware as well, but since you did that, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe some problems that X has with third-party RAM that 9 didn't? If you have an Apple Store near you, take it in and see if one of the 'Geniuses' will help you out.

5. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

Aside from what's been suggested... I'm not sure how to help you with this, but I just had to tell you that I love your subject line! :D