Help, kernel_task is always running at 50+% of CPU

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Icespiker, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Icespiker macrumors newbie

Ever since the 10.4.3 update, kernel_task with PID 0 as root process has been running usually above 50% of the CPU when the machine is at idle. I have a 15" Alum G4 1.67GHz Powerbook. Its getting really annoying that it is always running when nothing is happening. sometime is I let it run, it will eventually go down to below 1% but not until after a couple of hours. Can someone help me fix this, or is this a fix for the next OSX update? Thanks in advance. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...so do you see slowdown when you're trying to do things, when you're *not* at idle, or do your fans run more or something?

This doesn't seem right, though... have you tried not only repairing permissions but repairing the disk? If the kernel is sitting on top of some file structure problems, it may be trying to compensate or something....

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What's plugged in to the USB and Firewire ports? :)

4. Icespiker thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried the repair disk, no change so far. The kernel_task has been running ever since I brought my laptop out of sleep. It occurs when its not in idle mode too. It also occurs when I restart the computer, but will usually run for some time without running kernal_task at 50%+ of the cpu. I should experiment with it some more, but I think it only has this problem after the computer has been brought out of sleep mode.

To answer the other question, no.. nothing is plugged into any of the ports. Thanks.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

kernel_task is usually related to a lot of I/O activity (mainly hard drive read/write). So something is writing a large amount of data to your drive... which is weird. Even the new safe sleep mode on the Powerbooks shouldn't cause that to happen for more than 30 seconds to 1 minute before/after sleep.

6. adrian-cg macrumors member

7. Icespiker thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I tried to find the culprit and I think I found it. I had a APS UPS backup with a communication cable that connects to the USB. It was mainly to check if the UPS was still running ok. I found there was an item in the startup folder for the UPS device, so I trashed it and restarted. So far, the kernel_task now only uses about 4% cpu during idle and non-idle states, but from my research, it still should be lower than 1%, right?

If anyone is interested in hearing the details, just let me know. I think I'll have to post some feedback to APS about the bug.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

actually, that would be awesome if u posted some more info. I also have an APS battery backup and I checked my unit. Im running some MiniStat widget or something and my processor, it was showing running @ 100%-111%.....yea..not sure what the hell is going on there.
    Edit: yea, I just turned the Mac on and on MiniStat2 widget, again not sure how accurate it is but all I have open is widgets, nothing else and my processor goes between 94%-104%.....Says right now
    User: 34%
    System: 64%
    Nice: 0%

not sure what this all means but dosent that seam lile my system is kinda running hard?

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

mine runs at about 4-8% on a 600MHz G3 (three apps open airport on).

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What is the CPU % for the kernel task that is highlighted in Icespiker's picture? Is it really >100%??? That is *very* strange. :eek: :(

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

VShield... Are you using Virex 7.5.x? Isn't that incompatible with Tiger? I believe it is..
    Are you running Tiger?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would guess that you made the mistake of installing antivirus software, 'Prelude, and that it's doing a scan.

14. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well ive deleted my Virex but I still see it operating. I went under applications and through it in the trash and emptied....can it be in other places?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, that explains even more. Tiger and Virex don't like each other at all. :(

I don't think you can delete anti-virus software that way. You have to be very careful about this. If at all possible, use the un-installer that came with it.

If that's not possible, go to system preferences, and then accounts, and startup items, and then see if there is a listing for some kind of agent for Virex, and delete it from the startup item list if there is. If not, it's stuck somewhere in an .rc file and you're going to have a tough time undoing this, and need help directly from someone who's done this before.

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, i might be in for a rough time cause I dont see it as a starup program. Heck, its never been one and I had no idea it was running till now.

so is my computer pretty much running hard or semi hard when its not needing to be? cause the way I read the info is that alot of my cpu power is being used and for nothing

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you want to get rid of that thing, if you can. :(

See if you are able to implement this uninstall process:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301291

You might...*shudder* even try re-installing it and then uninstalling it using the procedure. :(

18. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oohh wow. that worked ever so superbly! now my system is running at 2% and 5%. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH.

/HugzYou.Exe