HELP! Keyboard all scrambled!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rapidj, Dec 2, 2004.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2003
    I have a 12 inch PB, and the keyboard is all scrambled. most of the keys give me no characters, and the ones that do are not the correct character. Apple Q will not quit applications. First time this has happened. ive tried restarting but to no avail. I leave it in on nearly all the time and close the lid when not using, but this is nothing new. Only thing dif, was last night i was using a game in classic and left the classic running all night, but i can't imagine that would matter. i quit classic

any thoughts, please
  2. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    something similar happened to my sister's computer, a bunch of the keys were flipped around, for example: an n would type a y and vice versa. i restarted it and zapped the PRAM (command+option+P+R while booting) and that fixed it
    good luck
  3. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Have you tried pressing the "num" key (F6)? Just a thought, though.
  4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I second zapping that PRAM. If you want to test if this is a hardware or software problem, connect an auxilary keyboard if you have one available and test that out.
  5. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    I think the most likely cause of your problem, as said before, is that the "num lock" key, aka f6, is pressed.
    When you fix it, please post what it was, I am curious to know the solution to this if it aint that key
  6. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2003
    scrambled keyboard

it was the number key, f6

thank you
  7. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    Try this - simply remove the battery and leave the power to drain for about 4 hours - put the battery back in then switch on.

Sometimes this cures strange keyboard problems on laptop PC's may even work on your Powerbook.