Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
I just got my dual 1.25 g4, and the apple keyboard is cool because it has the volume and eject buttons on it.

but its difficult for me to type on.

will i be able to buy a different keyboard (MS/Logitech) and use its volume/eject buttons if it has it?

if not, how would I eject the dvd/cd? It dosnt seem theres a button on the computer itself, and clicking the software's button is not what I want to do.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Re: HELP: Keyboard Question

Originally posted by joshuwa72
I just got my dual 1.25 g4, and the apple keyboard is cool because it has the volume and eject buttons on it.

but its difficult for me to type on.

will i be able to buy a different keyboard (MS/Logitech) and use its volume/eject buttons if it has it?

if not, how would I eject the dvd/cd? It dosnt seem theres a button on the computer itself, and clicking the software's button is not what I want to do.

You can use third party keyboards, although I'm not sure if the volume or eject button will work.

To eject a cd/dvd, drag the icon to the trash can.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
you CAN use a different keyboard. Most of them have OS X drivers for the volume and eject is also F12. So you can just hit F12 and out comes the CD, or just drag the CD to the trash.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
yeah i just picked up a logitech elite keyboard tonight.

the volume dial and mute button work, no eject.

i got a wireless ms mouse too, but its jitter city, so im taking it back.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Hold the F12 for a little bit. That should do it. Try the new logitech control center to. i found reivews of it on versiontracker.com. They confirm holding the F12 works.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
forgot to mention to get the F keys to work on the elite you have to hit the F lock button on the upper left. maybe thats why you have no eject.

Cheers.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Wireless MS mice always seem jerky. I asked someone in the Apple store about it and they said it's not just with Macs, but with PCs they are pretty jerky too. I haven't used one, but I heard Logitec makes some awesome mice and Kensington has some nice mice, too.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
w/ F-lock on, and holding the F12 key, the eject still does not happen for me, but its not really that big of a deal - i can live with it.

I also took the ms wireless mouse to work, and it works fine on the pc. Not as precise as a wired one, but not as jerky as it was on my mac. :confused:

Im taking my mouse I used to use at work home, its the one ive been trying to find for my mac anyway :D

the 5 button intellimouse explorer.

(I've been to 3 different Best Buy's and they were all sold out of them)

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
yeah, that seems easy enough.

problem is, i dont have a easy/cool way of opening the empty drive by keyboard or other means.

i have to open the app (itunes/dvd player) then use its eject button :(

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The eject button on my PowerBook doesn't work for me unless I hold it down for a second or two. I think that is just normal for Apple's new "eject" buttons (I am so used to not having an eject button with Macs in the first place).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.