Help! Keychain & Airport issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I just got my powerbook back from Applecare and they had to replace the HDD and motherboard. As such, I have slowly been transferring my data back to my machine, but I keep running into a really annoying issue every time I start up. The airport in the menu bar does not automatically connect to my home wireless network like it used to. I have entered the WEP password and opened my keychain for this application. Let me be clear, once I manually click on the airport I can select my wireless and there is no difficulty joining the network. The thing I wouldd like to fix is the failure to automatically join my network as it always used to. I am at a loss and have tried everything I know, so now I turn to you.:confused:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure I saw a problem exactly like that a while ago; I don't remember what I did to fix it, but I'd try deleting the item from your keychain, then deleting the network from the "Preferred Networks" list in the Network preference pane, then re-add both (and make sure you have it set to "join preferred networks by default" in that network pref).

Worth a shot, anyway.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

ok this still did not work. If anyone knows what to do here i could really use your help because it is getting really annoying to have to select the airport every single time.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Try going into the Network pane of System Preferences, selecting the appropriate network in the AirPort subpane, and literally just retyping the network's password in the appropriate box and hitting return. My fiancée's iBook did the same thing for almost a year before she finally got so fed up that she made me figure out how to fix it. I found several potential solutions in my Google searches, but that was the simplest one, so I tried it first and it worked.

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

OK I am going to try that now. I will let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, you wouldn't have any recommendation as to a wireless signal booster would you?

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Well I went into network and deleted the password and retyped it and updated the keychain. The same problem is still occurring. What next?

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Having the same issue on an eMac on boot. It won't select the network.

driving me INSANE but nothing i've been able to come up with is fixing it.

It's a G4, 1.24mhz running 10.4.8. It started after I did the "last" batch of updates....

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Just to be safe, have you:

system preferences > network > configure > join a specific network option?

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej