Help!! Keychain Problem!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    a simulacrum
    i seem to have locked my keychain and i'm not able to unlock it!
    i changed my login password, then didn't remember it, so tiger asked me
    for my master password, so i logged in and changed my login password to
    something easier.
    but now applications are asking for access to keychain "login" and none of my previous passwords are working, i have no idea what to do
    can i reset the login keychain somehow?
    please help!!!!

ps. there's a "reset keychain" option in the settings
    but it says that it will "set my current keychain aside"
    can i retrieve all my passwords from there and put them in the new one?
  2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    The items in your Login keychain have been encrypted using your forgotten login password. There is no way of decrypting those items without the old login password.
  3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    As the administrator on your system, you can erase the current login keychain and make a new one based on whatever password you like. But, the old passwords and certificates stored in the old keychain will be lost. There is no way to recover them without the matching password. It's called security...

Also, it helps to have your login password and login keychain password be the same, so OS X doesn't ask you for it every time an application needs access.
  4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    a simulacrum
    i did delete it and it is asking for the keychain every time apps need it,
    how do i change that?
    both passwords are the same
  5. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    I'm going to bump this up since it's only a few weeks old and sounds identical to my problem. Password was lost (old machine used by a former employee), changed it with the startup disc, realized that didn't unlock the keychain, deleted keychain (references only, just in case it's ever worth the effort of tracking down the password in the future), created a new keychain, made it the default. The password for the new keychain is identical to the account password.

Now every time the person fires up Entourage (or anything that accesses the keychain), it requests the keychain password. I even changed the access control to "Allow all applications to access this item" and it still pops up asking for the keychain password.

I could wipe the machine and start from scratch but there are software issues that make it a 5-6 hour PITA process and, aside from just plain not wanting to do all that extra work to fix a simple problem, I don't want this person down for a day.

Any suggestions?
  6. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    Nevermind. I got it working by deleting my new keychain, removing all traces of the original (moved it to a flash drive), and restarting. This time, I let OSX create the new keychain so it could call it whatever it wanted and create it however it wanted. It went with login.keychain which seems to be storing and retrieving things normally. I have no idea why it would act differently with this keychain but it does.